Home theater in bonus room

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Sean_avnut, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Sean_avnut

Sean_avnut Extra

I built my home theater in a bonus room above the garage. I have two air condition vents in the room.

However, I'm finding it to be a lot hotter in this prolly about 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house. In the winter its colder as well but that doesn't bother me as much because I live in a pretty warm climate.

Anyone have any suggestions on cooling the room better? I hate fans as they make too much noise unless their is a whisper quiet fan that I don't know about.

Any suggestions?

2. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Does the room have a return air vent? it's my experience that if the room is sealed off, it won't heat or cool properly without a return air vent. The air coming into the room has no where to go and it keeps more from flowing in through the vents unless you have a door open to the rest of the house, or a vent to pull air out of the room back to the HVAC unit.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sean,

Steve is right. Typical household ventilation has a central return, and the air from the rooms gets to the return by passing through under the door, and between the door and frame, which is not an airtight seal. If you have made your door airtight in the interest of sound proofing, that would account for your problem.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Hunter ceiling fans are very quiet. You could run it on low to keep the air circulating around the room.

5. Sean_avnut

Sean_avnut Extra

There is no cold air return vent unfortunately just two vents in the ceiling where the air condition comes down.

The room is not totally closed off. I have a curtain for the door so you would think that that would help but it doesn't.

What do I need to do? I'm assuming it would be too hard and expensive to get a cold air return vent put in.

6. Sean_avnut

Sean_avnut Extra

Nick - no room for a ceiling fan nor would i want one in a dedicated HT room.