Home Theater-in-a-box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david-drtspike, Jun 16, 2002.

1. david-drtspike

Does anyone know which home theater-in-a-box has the best sound quality for under 700 dollars? Also, I want the loudest subwoofer.

2. Greg Foan

Greg Foan Stunt Coordinator

Do yourself a favour and consider buying quality used equipment. For $700 it's pretty hard to get something you'll be happy with in the long run (i.e. 2 yrs from now). You can often find some pretty good deals on the fore sale section of this site and that of AVS forum. Also, consider looking on E-bay, or in your local newspaper. If you see something that looks good, ask about it here....you're sure to get lots of opinions[​IMG]
    Another option (the one I took) is DIY. You can either order the components seperately, or complete kits and have the satisfaction of building them yourself.....and end up with a helluva lot better system that way.
    Don't rush into it at any rate...I spent nearly a year building / reseaching my system and I'm glad I did. It was time well spent.
    Cheers,
    Greg

3. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Try a pair of JBL s26 I's from J & R for $159 with free shipping. Best online deal running on a pair of bookshelve speakers right now. If you base a system with those as mains you can put something together that you will be happy with for $700.

That budget is not the end of the world. I have seen people put together OK sounding systems for $500 after careful shopping. For $700, you can do a bit better than OK.

4. Joe.Kuta

Joe.Kuta Stunt Coordinator

jbl nsp-1 $250 @ j&r.com
    sony saw-m40 $130 online
    denon 1802 $367 etronics.com
    ------------------------------
    $747+ship, MUCH better than any "boxed" setup u could get for that money.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That would be very similar to my suggestion Joe, but that does not include a DVD player, which puts David over budget. HOWEVER, David, if you can save an extra $150-200 to go this route, you will be MUCH better off than an HTiB. Panasonic and Sony both have decent DVDs for $149 MSRP.

To bring it down a bit more, but lose a little power and maybe a feature or two - there is the Denon 1602 or the Onkyo TX-SR500.

6. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Denon has an HTIB called the DHT-682XP. The receiver is the avr-682 which is the same as the avr-1602. I am afraid I don't know anything about the speakers except what is on Denon.com. I just checked BizRate.com and the 682XP is available for $549 to $599.

This product will likely soon be replaced by a DHT-683XP when Denon replaces their entry level receivers (in August I believe). If something like this is of interest, you may want to wait.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

To go even cheaper than what Joe suggested you could do the following:
    JBL NSP1 $250
    PE DLS 10" $100
    Yamaha RX-V520 $280
    Plus a little shipping and the rest can be used for cables.