What's new

Home theater in a Box (1 Viewer)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
I realize this is probably a bad thing to talk about on this forum, but my father-in-law is looking at one. Any suggestions? He has an Onkyo in his sights from Fry's Electronics.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't know anything about these since I have kepted away from them.

Range is $500 or less.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It's been my understanding that Onkyo makes a very good HTIB....
HTIBs make a good starter setup for HT. Once he gets it going, and watches and listens to a few movies, the upgrade-itis bug will probably bite him. You can help him. Say, "this sounds real good, but it CAN sound a whole lot better. Once he's started getting used to it, take him to an HT store, and have them demo a really good system for him. Let him see what it can sound like. It will be fun to watch his reactions............

Bill**H

Stunt Coordinator
Rick,

At $500 The Onkyo HTS-760 is the way to go! You will still need to buy a DVD player,speaker stands and spend about $100 in cables.
I have last years model the HTS-650 and the only thing I upgraded was the Subwoofer,(2 Sony SA-WM40's). I run the Subs 6 DB hot and have no trouble reaching 105+ DB peaks at my seat which is 13 feet from the TV in a room that is 11'3" by 33'. All speakers set to 75 DB. When both Subs are on the SPL Meter shows 81 DB. For a low buck system it Rocks!
The "upgrade-itis" bug has bitten me. I want a 57" RPTV, but can't afford it right now as the 36" direct view is just to small. I'd also like to have an SVS Sub. Whats a poor ole WV boy to do when he needs a new roof on the house and wants $3500 worth of new toys...

Bill

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo 760 is in his price range and a good system. The great thing is the receiver is very good so if he gets the bug to upgrade later all he's gotta do is replace the speakers.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
I would shy away from any htib. go seperates and get something worth while.....for the same price...

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would normally say stay away from HTIB, but with the Onkyo you get a real deal DD/DTS receiver, so they make a solid platform to upgrade upon if you so choose.

Chuck W

Auditioning
I agree John. The Onkyo HT-760's receiver is the SR501(rebadged as HT510 I think), which is a 6.1 receiver with component video switching. For that price, it's is as good a choice as you are gonna find for a HTIB.

The receiver is a good one(I had the SR501 for a week, but exchanged it for an SR601, only because I wanted a bit more power and the DTS 96/24 support).

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Another vote for the Onkyo here. I went and looked at it at Circuit City one time and it looks pretty dang nice. I don't think you could get a better HTIB for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks