What's new

Home Theater "in-a-box" systems (1 Viewer)

Daris

Auditioning
Ok, I've already been given some very good info. about a basic set I can get with jsut having a receiver, single DVD player, and two shelf speakers. However, I want to listen to 5.1 now!

Eventually, I plan to get seperate components to create a nice hi-fi system, but for now I'm sure there's got to be a nice system with some nice quality sound for not a lot of money. Besides, I could take this system and put it in my bedroom later on when I'm able to get a better set up.

As far as the tv goes, does anyone know which companies have 27" tubes that can play in a 16:9 ratio format? I already know that Sony does, but I hear there are other tv's as well.

Last question. If I decide to get seperate components, what would be some good brands to choose from to START OFF with? I wouldn't need the latest and greatest stuff to begin, just a nice receiver, DVD player (looking into Panasonic's $100 "I can do it All!" DVD player.), and a nice bookshelf speaker set and sub.

People thanks again for any and all replies.

Daris '03

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Daris, your first focus here seems to be on the sonic end of things, and I've moved your post to A/V Sources. You appear to be asking for input as to specific manufacturers and models. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level only. If you have any questions, just let me know.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It takes about $500 for a truly decent system, including a 6.1 Surrond Reciever, 6 decent speakers, and a decent sub.

I dare say nearly any system $400 and less, will be to compromised for any sort of theater like sound experience.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

JVC and Samsung. Of those I would Highly recomend a JVC i'art 27FA44, which is what I have. A fantastic TV, the theatre pro setting provides very respectable colour out of the box. It also offer much more bang for the buck than the sony (read: it's cheaper). The samsung models are even cheaper, but I feel the picture quality is not nearly as good.

I second the use of Samsung as a good 27" with 16:9 ability. Also, for about $1000, you can get a tv/receiver setup that is quite decent, that is minus the speakers of course, add another $200-$300 for a set of decent speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks