Home theater in a box suggestion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikePon, Mar 5, 2002.

1. MikePon

MikePon Extra

A coworker of mine is looking for a packaged home theater system. He is willing to spend about $600 US. Any suggestions??

2. Steve Klein

Steve Klein Extra

Does he need a DVD player? If so, get the Kenwood HTB-505... pretty good system and includes a DVD player in the reciever. MSRP is 600, but can be had for 500-550.
    If not, there is the Kenwood HTB-504 at an MSRP of 500, but can be had for 425-475. It is nearly the exact same system with no built in dvd player.
    These are good systems. However, there may be something better than the 504 out there if he is willing to spend a full 600.
    If I was him I would get the 504 and save some money to upgrade speakers in the future.

3. Dan Long

Dan Long Auditioning

I got a JVC set at Sam's club, of all places. $499, has a 3 disk changer, 100watt per channel amp, 10" sub and 5 speakers. It sounds great. Our room is about 20x25 with a 9' ceiling and it fills the room with no problem.

Dan

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'll second the 504 (now called the 544). i like it because the dvd and receiver are actually separated.

i'm a little hesitant to recommend any system where the dvd is integrated into the receiver. i'd hate for one part to break and then be totally down. plus, i just have a scary feeling about those truly "all-in-one" systems...i don't like having all my components in one box.

5. MikePon

MikePon Extra

Ok,

Based on the above responses and the responses from hometheatertalk, the overwelming choice is the kenwood

HTB-504/505. From the looks of the 504 on the website it seems to be a pretty good piece for an all-in-one. It has alot of upgradeability for an all-in-one.

Now, where the heck do I get a HTB-505? This model does not even appear on the kenwood website.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

7. Josh Matthews

I know this some of this stuff has been addressed before on this forum but I'll tell you what (little) I know. The Kenwood 544 is just the 504 with an upgraded receiver (509) and a better remote. It does not come with a dvd player. I just got mine from Crutchfield last week and, in fact, the box was for the 504 with a "544" upgrade sticker on it. It's not listed in the catalog but if you email them, they have it and will send a link to order it. It was $500.00 (plus like $14.00 for shipping).

I found it at another website for $400.00 (mjshow.com or something like that)but spent the $500.00 at Crutchfield instead. I found a thread somewhere else on this forum that indicated that since that other site is not an "authorized Kenwood dealer" the warranty will not apply. I figured even if there's an argument that it won't apply, I'll avoid the hassle. I'm sure you could call Kenwood and ask them.

Also, the Crutchfield people were very responsive and helpful. My impression is that they have a good rep on this forum but look around for yourself. They also knew what I was asking for. Stop on by your local Circuit City to see what I'm talking about there. They said it would get here in 3 days and it arrived in one (granted I live in Pa. and they're in Va.). I'm not trying to do a Crutchfield commercial here and not having dealt with anyone else, I can't really say how they are, but for me it was worth the piece of mind having dropped all that money.

As for the 544, I'm thrilled with it and I still haven't got it set up optimally. My fiance is still a little irked about the initial set-up phaze (the center channel posed a major decor conflict) and if I start repositioning speakers and messing around with SPL meters and calibration discs she's liable to leave me or kill me in my sleep). You should know these things are a little tricky to get going in terms of setting up (which is why this forum is so great).

Last night I realized that NHL 2002 for PS2 has a DTS mode. Awesome. Anyway, in my EXTREMELY rookie, newbie opinion after 3 days of ownership, the 544 was worth every penny.