What's new

Home Theater In a Box Subwoofer Replacement (1 Viewer)

RedKNAVE

Auditioning
Real Name
Benjamin
Hello I have an Onkyo HT-S3700 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver/Speaker Package and my subwoofer has started to make a popping sound. I assume that the sub is popping because it is not receiving enough power from the receiver which is causing damage. Unless there is an easy fix that I am unaware of, I would like to replace the sub (which is only powered from the receiver) with a traditional sub that has its own power source. My question is about the new connection because most subs that i have seen only have rca inputs and not line level inputs. Is it safe to just use a Line Output Converter to change the input type? If so what would i do with the L/R wires on the converter because there is only a single output on my receiver for the sub with a positive and negative, but most LOCs have 2 sets of positive and negative wires. I am looking at this sub https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Aud...4167647&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=subwoofer&psc=1 which has a high level input. Would i be able to simply plug my single speaker wire into the high level input and if so would i have to split the positive and negative into 2 wires because there is a left and a right? Would this be the way to go or would using a LOC and plugging into the rca line ins work better/safer? Thank you for your help i have done a lot of digging but have not been able to find conclusive answers to my questions.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Can’t answer your question about the converter without a link to the specific one you’re talking about. Most of those things that I’m aware of are for car stereos, which only have a few watts output. Anything used on your Onkyo would probably require a wattage rating comparable to what the Onkyo puts out.

A sub with speaker-level inputs like the one you linked will work fine.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks