What's new

"Home Theater In A Box" recommendations (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
I know even bringing this up may make me the anti-christ...BUT...

I purchased a HT in a box some years ago and have been very happy with the results for a not so expensive set that all came in one.

I'm looking to do the same now for my apartment which is medium sized in NYC. I don't need something so expensive yet. Does anyone have any that they can recommend? Just going on Bestbuy.com shocked me by how many they have.

Here's the one thing...I don't want a DVD player with it. I am keeping mine and not upgrading.

Any suggestions?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I was in the same boat as you a few months back and decided against a HTiB and instead went with a couple of inexpensive separates. I will omit the DVD player since you already ownd one. I got the following:

Sherwood RD6108 500 watt A/V receiver with DTS/DD5.1 at Circuit City for $125.00

AudioSource 6 Speaker set with powered subwoofer at Best Buy for $122.00

Buying separates like this will ensure that you will be able to expand the system if you need to. HTiB systems are quite good, but are very limited in their ability to add peripherals if you want to, i.e., tape players, CD players, etc. The only downside to the Sherwood receiver is that it has only spring clips for the speakers and it does not have component or S-Video switching. It does however have a couple of composite video inputs. It also has 2 coaxial digital inputs and one optical digital input. Not too bad for a system in this price range. It is somewhat difficult to find a HTiB that doesn't come with a DVD player and those that do are a bit more money than what I wanted to spend for a bedroom system.

gregD

Second Unit
Check out the system packages at hifi.com... they feature Cambridge SoundWorks speakers plus a selection of receivers (with the latest processing, DPL2, 6.1) at several price points.

Most importantly, the CSW speakers are excellent bang-for-the buck products.

They're not the last word in discount pricing, but still a very good value... I've had nothing but positive experiences with them, particularly when devising and installing systems for friends.

In any case, way better than any HTIB.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
How about the Onkyo 6.1 system for $500 at circuit City? Has receiver, powered sub, center, mains, and 3 surround speakers. You could still use your curremt DVD player as it doesn't include one. That would be hard to beat for a HTIB.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Jack, I was just quoting what Sherwood specs the receiver at. The gentleman asked about an HTiB recommendations and thought I might persuade him to get separates instead at an affordable price.

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
why dont u buy like a JBL NSP and pb10 for about $350 online and a some cheap receiver like HK 125

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator

Well you were looking into HT in a box solutions and you didn't want to spend a lot of money. I was suggesting a high quality set of 5.1 PC speakers as an alternative. You can find the Klipsch GMX D-5.1 system for less than $299. It includes decent speakers, a sub, amps and Dolby Digital and Prologic II decoders. All your missing is the tuner. This system should sound better than any HT in a box at $300. Of course if you're planning to build a more elaborate system it won't work.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I agree with Ron if that is what you are looking to do. I have the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 and these babies do more than any $400 HTIB could do or any plain old component 5.1 setup at $400 could ever do.

They are computer speakers though and unfortunatly if you want something bigger you will have to go with a HTIB which will run more.

I've seen some nice Yamaha HTIB's at Bestbuy for around $299 or so, they looked pretty nice and they didn't sound too bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks