Home theater idea (floor plan picture inside):

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kenneth Harden, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

How would something like this work out? This is mega-ultra overkill in terms of speakers, but how is the shape of the room and the overall idea? The grid represents 1'

Click for picture

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Looks great to me. The only thing I don't like are the subs in the rear of the theater as well as the front. I think you might have cancellation issues.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Dude, that's a 1000 square foot theatre, I hope you have the speakers/amplifiers to fill it[​IMG]

The front 2 surround speakers aren't needed

The 2 rear subs could pose a big problem, esp being in equal locations, and the use of 4 subs would be a complete bitch to equalize.

I'm afraid of what the angled walls will do to you soundstage, probably nothing good though.

Your only about 12' away from the screen, you'd better have a top end projector for it to look OK sitting that close.

I'd almost be looking at getting rid of the wall that seperates the concession area from the theatre and adding a sitting area with bar stools and nice counter so people can eat without going into the theatre. You may need to add a hush box for the projector and move the rear subs if this were a consideration.

That theatre is going to produce a LOT of heat, what considerations for ventilation do you have.

I'd probably put the main DVD player in the same area as the DVDs. That way other people can't touch(or screw up) the important stuff, and changing discs is easier.

Ever thought about a media server?

Locks on the equipment doors too.

6 doors into the theatre, you're asking for a LOT of rattling, and using 6 solid core door with be quite expensive.

Cool program, what is it??

Brent

4. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

"Shitter"

[​IMG]

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Holy crap.

That's a serious project. Good luck - I'll be anxious to see the end result. I'm curious how you arrived at the screen size. Is that 183" diagonal? That is absolutely huge. Do you already know what projector you'll be going with to accommodate that much surface area? What is the viewing angle and seating distance.

The curved and offset seating looks cool, but dead center of the room is an acoustic nightmare where lots of room modes coincide. That seems to be where the "money seat" is located. Along with the angled walls I think taming this room will be a real challenge. I also agree with above that front surrounds are overkill.

I don't even want to think of the budget for this bad boy!

6. RodneyT

RodneyT Stunt Coordinator

Looks cool, like my ultimate dream for a home cinema. I note one of the previous posts mentioned something about cancellation with the subwoofers at the rear... could you please elaborate? I currently have two subwoofers in my rear speaker chain, and have no issues with the sound quality from the rear. Is it better to have something between the subs blocking the direct sound line, such as seating, or adjust the phase of the two rear subs and position as well?

I agree about the excess surround speakers, particularly at the front of the front seats. I'd hate to be sitting in those seats listening to stuff coming from in front of me when its supposed to be coming from behind.

Overall, though, it looks amazing! I would like to see photos when it's finished!

7. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

OMG - this is just for fun. What I have set up there would be over $250,000 easily (without a projector). I dreamed this up while in class one day.

Yeah, the rear subs were an idea, but there would be TONS of room for them under the screen (8, 18" subs would fit, or an army oy anything else)

The idea of the front surrounds would be to smooth transition from front to rear, but probably are not needed.

I used AutoSketch. A WONDERFUL program for hobbiests that do anything - about $130 for a legit copy. Made my the makers of AutoCAD - Autodesk.