Home Theater help

smak4432

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I'd like to setup some sort of audio solution in my basement to work with my HD TV. I've been looking online without much luck. Every place seems to recommend the HTIB solutions, and I'm not interested in all the excess speaker wires, but I'd love to have the surround sound.

I've currently have a 52" Mitsubishi HDTV with a Dishnetwork HD Receiver. The sound on the TV is adequate at best, so I'd like to enhance the audio experience. The room is about 15x20 and is not prewired for any speakers or surround sound. I'd like to have a surround sound environment, but am not interested in running speaker wire to the rear speakers. I've read a little about some surround systems that have a wireless kit that allows you to use wireless speakers for your rear satelite speakers. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has feedback on those types of systems. I'd also be curious of any feedback on the Panasonic SC-HT940, the Philips HTS6500, or Panasonic SC-HT640W.

If I can't get the full surround sound, I'd be interested in just getting a 2 floor standing speakers, a receiver, a center speaker, and a subwoofer. How would that setup sound when watching TV compared to a total surround system? I have a 2 year old JVC RX 6000VBK AV receiver that is capable of 500 watts. Is that a sufficient receiver for what I'm looking for? My budget on this project is about $200-300, so I know that I'm looking at entry level solutions. The TV is typically used for Sports and DVD's. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Also, if anyone could recommend a good website that has good pricing on individual speakers, recievers, etc other than the typical best buy's or circuit city's, that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wireless speakers are not the best sounding option but they are better than none at all. Going with a 3.1 system is fine for most movies except action movies. You will miss a lot. Have you looked into wire channels and other methods to hide speaker wires? Can you run them in the walls or under the carpet?

-Robert

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaywess