Home theater has taken over my life

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dereck Graefer, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Dereck Graefer

The last few months, I have become obsessed with this Hobie. So obsessed that I'm putting less effort into my studies. I'm currently a Math and Computer Science major, and lately, i've found my interest in these areas to be lacking. Right now I have a part time job programming and I really hate it. Going to a job you hate is terrible. I enrolled into Math/CS because I have a love for computers. I figured, since I like working with computers, I would like Computer Science and Math. This doesn't seem to be the case. Programming and "Working on a computer" are miles apart. I'm really confused on where I want to go with my education. My interest in Home theater, or rather, audio in general seems larger than anything i've ever had an interest in before. So I was thinking, if I like audio so much, why don't I change my major to something related to it? Maybe Electrical Engineering? I feel I would be interested it this a lot more. The only problem is this .... the Engineering faculty is not very good at my university. I would have to move to another city. This is a problem since most of my credits would not transfer over. I'm in my 3rd year, and I don't want to start from scratch so to speak. Also, my long term relationship with my girlfriend would suffer greatly. I don't know if she is willing to move with me. So I guess my questions are as follows:

If im interested in technical aspects of audio, would I be interested in EE?

What kind of careers would I like if im interested in Audio. I understand everyone is different, but all I want is some opinions.

Should I forget about university, and maybe hook myself into a trade? Or maybe entrepreneurship?

All advice welcomed. Sorry for using this forum as a if it was a university guidance counselor, but after looking at the "happy birthday" part of the forum, I realize many the people here have twice my life experience. Hopefully I can capitalize on that. Thanks.

2. Louis Stettiner

Louis Stettiner Stunt Coordinator

A HobbY can always Turn into a Good Career. Yes you like the Stuff now but do you want to make it your life. EE is a good feild You may are may not get into the audio right away.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Stay in University. Especially if you are doing ok and you're in 3rd year. explore the possibilities to transfer, but whatever you do, get your degree first and then go to college. Even if its in something you aren't going to focus on, you're almost finished, or at least over half-way through, so finish University first and then reflect on what you did and maybe go to trade school or college afterwards. Thats the hot tip. Hey, with two degrees, you may make more money, which can't hurt either. But yes, find something you want to do because you enjoy it [​IMG]

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I started in CS and quickly realized that I hated what I was doing after taking 2 classes in the major (I found it EXTREMELY boring [​IMG] ). I am now doing something that I have always loved... film. I think doing what you love for the rest of your life is WAY more important than ALL the money in the world (wow... that sounds really sappy [​IMG]).
    [​IMG]

5. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Dereck,

I am 38 and enjoy my field in Respiratory care...although I wish I made more $$$...but who doesn't? Oh yeah. Bill Gates.

Anyway, sounds like you have alot going for you right now and are nearly at completion of a 4 year degree. I would have to suggest staying put with your classes and girlfriend. Finish what you have started. But, if you are sincerely interested in the audio/video field try contacting Dolby Labs, LucasFilm, THX Limited and DTS to find out who they are hiring and what specifications are they looking for.

These sites all offer career oportunities and by contacting their HR dept. you could find out plenty of information. If this continues to feed your appetite then continue with the additional classes/training needed to land you a job in A/V.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I am of the opposite opinion, hobbies are hobbies, your job is your job. I have made a bad habit of making my hobbies my career, and all it does is wreck your hobby, well IME anyway.

7. Dereck Graefer

Well, all you guys have surfaced some really good points.
    Louis said:
    This is a good point too. Heck, I started my Degree program because of a Hobby ... computers ...
    Confusion ... this is my current mind state. I think I'll finish my current degree and go from there. But not before sampling some other subjects. At least then I'll have more of an idea of I want to do. I started University straight out of high school. I didn't put a lot of thinking into the future, and now im paying for it. Hopefully i'll find that special thing that makes me happy rain or shine. You guys should all consider becoming guidance counselors [​IMG]

8. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

Dereck,

You say you like computers...maybe programming isnt for you. There is more to computers then just programming. If you like to work on computers you might think about doing server support or even network support. A Computer Science degree and a certification or 2 could easily land you a good job doing some type of admin support.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't think ANYONE knows exactly what they want to do right out of highschool, I sure didn't. I went to college majoring in mechanical engineering, man was that a mistake. I went for a year, took 2 years off and worked full time as a hardware and network support kinda guy, killing that hobby [​IMG] then went back to school in an aviation field, killing that hobby too [​IMG]
    I wouldn't be too worried about it, maybe get all your core classes out of the way and take a few other classes, maybe you'll find something that really interests you.