What's new

Home Theater Hardware section should be split up (1 Viewer)

PaulKH

Second Unit
Can't we do sub-sections? That way we could have comparison/general questions in the main part and specific in a sub-section. For example:

Video

->TV

->->FP

->->RP

->->Tube

->DVD

Audio

->DVD

->CD

->Speakers/subs

->Amps/receivers

Misc.

->Cables

->Wire

->Remotes

David Head

Second Unit
I like the suggestions that would limit the number of sub sections. I would prefer spliting the areas by type instead of brand.

How about "stickies" in the sub sections for major brand FAQs? That might eliminate some of the regular threads like "Which size SVS should I get?".

David

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

I truly believe that simplicity is the key. Too many sub-sections and it becomes tedious to navigate.

I see overly complicated schemes at work all the time. They get implemented and inevitably end up being simplified to a more user-friendly system.

BTW, I also like John Beavers idea for the TV section.

PaulKH

Second Unit
OK Jim - makes sense, how's this:

- Displays (TV, FP, RP, etc.)

- Amps/receivers

- Disc players (DVD, CD, LD, etc.)

- Speakers/subs/speaker wire

- Misc. (remotes, cables

- Whole system discussions

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I agree with the sub-section idea. I like the AVS forum becuase of the ease of use. If I want to look up tweaks or audio or DVD/LD software. I can go directly to that area. Plus, they have a general HT area to take care of the general and most newbie questions.

I would love not to have to scroll through all of the SVsubwoofer and Outlaw 950 threads on a particular day.

The only other feature/area I wish all (especially newbies) would use is the search feature. IMO, those not using this feature are either ignorant of it's usfulness or just too lazy to bother....for the people who use it, it does require us to go through some info that may not be related to our question (but it's part of the education process). It's so much easier to throw your question out there and depend the repeated kindness of fellow members to repeat the same info they had most likely posted not long along. But, I don't have the answer as to how to require people to use this feature before posting.

Thanks Ron and Parker (and all moderators for that matter) for an area on the net that I visit everyday.

Happy New Year

Ron Boster

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>OK Jim - makes sense, how's this:

- Displays (TV, FP, RP, etc.)

- Amps/receivers

- Disc players (DVD, CD, LD, etc.)

- Speakers/subs/speaker wire

- Misc. (remotes, cables

- Whole system discussions

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how this will sit with anyone else so I'd like to hear thoughts on these.

1. Adding CATV to the DBS/Sat section. There is nowhere else to talk about it and some of us are stuck with it.

2. The hardware section would be a little bit less strained if...

A: The DBS/SAT/CATV(?) section included all hardware for these systems too, because...

B: I would rather have CD players in the music section, etc.

I know that right now hardware takes priority (except for TV) over anything else, and this keeps all of the hardware into one section, but ???

I'm going to leave that as an open-ended sentence. I suppose that DBS would/should go over to computers, but you see where I am going with this.

Glenn

PaulKH

Second Unit
I'm not criticizing the people who run this great and useful forum, but for now I think I'm gonna surf elsewhere for the most part because the hardware forum is just so overwhelmed with messages on cables, endless outlaw and SVS threads, receivers, amps, DVD players, VCRs, etc.
I hope it gets split up soon.
Kinda reminds me of that old Yogi Berra expression - nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded.
:D

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator
Where I agree that there are lots of posts that may seem to clog up the Hardware section. I still think that it's important for newbies to see everything and learn from what they read. A newbiew is overwhelmed as it is and will be intimidated by so many sub-catagories.

I would leave it alone. But it looks like I'm way in the minority.

Therefore, perhaps you should make a whole new section:

Questions for Beginners.

S&V has something similar. I was jammed just after Christmas.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Duplicate post from Hardware area:

Well, I still think that simplicity is the key so to that end I think that receivers and separates should be one category. Where do the threads about using a receiver as a pre/pro end up. It deals with receivers and amps. Combining these two makes sense to me. The rest seem reasonable.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I'm very eager to see how this all works out. As of now though I have one suggestion and one fear.
Suggestion:
Instead of having to first go the the "Hardware" section and then to a respective sub catagory could they all be listed on the main page, in a somewhat similar fashion to AVS?
Fear:
Now we have even more places for people to post duplicate threads or threads that are just flat out in the wrong area. I admit, it should be obvious where to post, but unfortunately I have no faith in humanity. :)
EDIT: Evidence of my fear. I just found this in the Separates section.
I do think it is a good idea but it just needs to be tweaked. Don't think I'm rushing you though, I know you have lives outside HTF. Thanks for this board! I look foward to seeing it continue to evolve.
Dan Hine

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks