What's new

Home Theater Forum Cancer Research Team (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
If they came out with some software that supported the Mac I'd be only too happy to offer my services.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
OK, I installed this on a machine in the office. They shouldn't mind if this is running in the evening or on weekends. One question...how do I know it's running properly? In the UD Agent window, the CPU Task Time keeps running, but the Task Execution Progress is staying at 0% even though it's been running for 90 minutes. Is this normal?

EDIT: Never mind. I went over and checked and it's moving...now at 6% completed. When it's done with its "task" does it send the data back and then start on a new protein?

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Count me in as another Mac user who would jump at the chance to offer my computer.
Thank you,
Pieter

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Welcome Richard!!
Michael, Yes, if you are connected to the internet, i believe it will transfer the info around midnight every night.
Also, im not sure but i thought i saw that they just made available a program for the MAC. Maybe i was dreaming :)
Anyway, Welcome!

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I just signed up.

My Father passed away a few years ago after a long and brutal battle with Cancer. It's a terrible disease that's been around far too long.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Welcome Micheal! If you read thru the threads, youll know that my grandfather was diagnosed.

I lost him this past July.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Also, im not sure but i thought i saw that they just made available a program for the MAC. Maybe i was dreaming
Alas, you were dreaming, Henry. :frowning: Seems UD is only interested in making their software available to Mac and Linux users if someone else is willing to front the cost to port the software. Until they change their minds, I'll use the several Macs for SETI and the lone Windows box for UD.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'm disappointed that nobody has joined the team since I did in February. I highly recommend it to everyone that leaves their computers on for long stretches of time. A few pennies in electricity costs annually...is that too much to spend in helping to fight one of the great scourges of the world?

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Its a slow going membership Mike. But there are a few of us grinding away at it :)
Not as instantly gratifying as the ET software that many
here have, but nontheless personally gratifying for myself.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I downloaded the program and joined up. I was a little leary at first, especially after I was reading the indemnity clause in their agreement. According to their agreement you become financially liable if their data becomes corrupted due to a deliberate act. If data became corrupted on up or download, how would you prove that it wasn't deliberate? I decided to help out anyway, because I think it is a good cause and also because both of my parents died from cancer.

I downloaded the app., but the data pack sent for processing has to do with smallpox research for the DoD. Is this stuff the kind of material you guys have received? I'm not too sure I want to be giving free computing power to the American military. I thought the stuff was going to be cancer related research. The other thing I'm wondering is how long on average each packet of data takes to process? So far, the material I was sent is about 26% complete, but the log is showing about 15 hours of CPU time so far. I'm trying to figure out if my machine is processing too slow.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
You can change your profile so that you are only doing cancer research. There's instructions on how to do so here
15 hours does seem like a long time to process. On average I run through an entire molecule every 10-12 hours. You can try optimizing your machine to process the molecules faster by making changes in the Device Profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks