What's new

Home Theater Flooring (1 Viewer)

Karim_M

Grip
I'm buying a new house and I'm just wondering from an acoustic perspective, is there a problem with using hardwood flooring?
Will it sound better or worse than carpet? If worse, can anything be done to alot for this or better the sound?

KM

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Carpet is better. Hard flooring tends to make the sound "bright" due to a greater number of reflections. Well placed rugs can help quite a bit, but carpet is still going to be better, IMO.

Karim_M

Grip
Damn, the hardwood is the best cosmetic option, cause the HT is going in my living room which is hardwood?

Is it a bad sound w/ hardwood?

KM

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It depends on how picky you are and whether or not you already have the speakers. It won't sound bad exactly, but the higher frequencies will tend to be accentuated. Choosing speakers that tend to be brighter will make the situation worse; if you have the ability to choose the speakers still you can at least make sure you choose some that are not too bright (example: Klipsch are bright to my ears).

Karim_M

Grip
Okay, I will pay attention to that.
If I put a carpet or rug down, would that be below the speakers?

KM

John S

Senior HTF Member
It's mixed bag somewhat. I like hardwood for subs. Speakers should definetly be on stands though. An overly bright speaker as said is usually not the greatest mix with them. Generally one large throw type rug under the sweet spot / viewing area will help alot.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You'll want the rug to cover as much space as feasible between you and the speakers, without completely getting rid of the wood floor. I prefer wood floors too, but not where the music system is...

I was checking these guys out the other day when I saw the link here on HTF - I think it's a pretty cool idea:

http://www.hometheatercarpets.com/

Karim_M

Grip
John S you said, "Generally one large throw type rug under the sweet spot / viewing area will help alot."

John Garcia you said, "You'll want the rug to cover as much space as feasible between you and the speakers, without completely getting rid of the wood floor. "

Is that the same thing, is the sweetspot between the speakers and the couch?

KM

Karim_M

Grip
Okay, kind of a weird/stupid question but what does putting a rug on this so-called "sweet spot", do for the sound? Like how does that, change the sound that I would hear?

KM

how do spikes on floor standing speakers usually react to hard wood floors. I am getting ready to install hardwood floors with a place carpet, and i have my speakers spiked right now through the carpet.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Bottom fire woofs on the floor standers??? If so, I don't think I would put carpet under them myself, just around the seating area.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Then definately go with hardwood. You might sacrifice some on the sound but with carpet you would sacrifice even more overall on the living room.

Karim_M

Grip
PROBLEM:

I went to my builder's today to do the final interior setup, and the drywall is already up so speakerwire they can't do for me. So I guess I am going to have to do it after the house is complete. The mechanical guy was saying that people usually go through the floor, so I guess I would have to drill down from the TV Area, pass the wires underneath through the unfinished basement, and then bring it back up near the locations. Is that correct?

KM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks