What's new

Home Theater Equipment Rebuild Advice (1 Viewer)

bradypunch

Grip
Real Name
Brady
I recently had my house burn down (March 17th), and now I am going to rebuild my home theater room. Unfortunately I was underinsured on personal property so I am on a budget and will be on these forums looking for advice; hopefully I'll find some good advice from people since I have been out of the loop for some time. Here is a little info about the room size, usage, etc.

The room is in the basement and is 19' x 11'9". It will be a dedicated room for home theater/music, and will have theater type seating, sound panels, and bass traps(eventually). It will be used for movies 70% of the time and music the other 30%. I have a Klipsch Synergy 12" that was given to me the other day, and I want another sub to run with it. I also have a Rotel RMB 1075 amplifier and Yamaha RX-V1600 receiver(Which I plan on replacing).

For a second sub I was looking at the Definitive Supercube 6000 and the Klipsch R-115SW or Klipsch R-112SW. I do not have my mind set on these particular models but they are ones that seemed to be decent to me. The other option I was looking at was BIC Acoustech PL-200 for the money saving which would allow me more cash to spend on other components.

For tower speakers I was looking at the Bic PL-89 II or PL-980's. Polk Audio and Klipsch were also in my sight as well.

Any advice is welcome; I have been out of the audio market pool for a long timer and I am needing to do this on a budget. Thank you for the advice.

bradypunch

Grip
Real Name
Brady
Please feel free to leave your opinions if you have any. I do not plan on buying anything for a few weeks....until the house is completed with the rebuild.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you want to stay with your larger budget then look at Power Sound Audio, Reactive Audio, SVS or Hsu Research. DefTech and Klipsch make good subs but nothing like the ones from the companies I mentioned.

BIC has a great budget sub but I can't remember the model.

bradypunch

Grip
Real Name
Brady
Thank you for the info Robert....I will look into those you mentioned for sure. Do you have any advice for towers that won't break the bank?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Search the forum for threads on BIC speakers. Sam has posted numerous comments with model numbers. I'm a DIY guy so I don't remember details.

bradypunch

Grip
Real Name
Brady
Update :)

I purchased some items to rebuild my home theater....Hopefully these things do the trick (It's got to be a LOT better than the Klipsch Quintet speakers I had). I still plan on adding an HSU VTF-15H MK2 to this setup:

B&W 603 S3 Tower speakers w/ sound Isolation cones

B&W LCR 600 S3 Center speaker

B&W 600 S3 Surround speakers (4)

SVS 20-39 PC - Plus Cylinder Subwoofer (1)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The Bowers & Wilkins are some nice speakers and you should be very happy with them. You sure you want more than what the SVS puts out for sub? I have the HSU VTF-3 MK 5 HP Subwoofer which is a 15" sub and depending on the movie I have had one or two things vibrated off shelves, the remote vibrated of the end table a few times and rattles pictures on the wall.

View attachment 21609

This is the Bowers & Wilkins that will be in my HT this Saturday.

View attachment 21197

View attachment 20620

What is your budget for a new receiver?

bradypunch

Grip
Real Name
Brady
Hopefully I am happy with the B&W 603 S3 Towers.....if not I will look into the Polk's. As far as the (SVS 20-39 PC - Plus Cylinder Subwoofer) I will try it out tandem with the Klipsch I already have before I make the move on the HSU (VTF-15H MK2). I don't want to spend more than 2k on a new receiver if I can help it Dave. Any suggestions??? I also just purchased an Epson 5030UB projector for the theater room as well.....hopefully I am back in the house at the end of the month! :)

bradypunch

Grip
Real Name
Brady
Thanks for the input Dave; I will explore these options. Do you think I should continue to run my Rotel RMB1075 amplifier? Most of these units have at least the 120W that the amp puts out...will it sound better going through the amp? Furthermore the amp is only 5 channel and I have a 7 channel set-up....I suppose I could run the rear surrounds off the receiver and everything else through the amplifier or get another 2-channel just for the front towers. Your thoughts?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Furthermore the amp is only 5 channel and I have a 7 channel set-up....I suppose I could run the rear surrounds off the receiver and everything else through the amplifier or get another 2-channel just for the front towers. Your thoughts?

By all means keep using your amp it should give you better performance and with many of the receivers you can take those unused amplifiers in the receiver and assign them to another channel. If you want to keep the costs down you can use your 5 channel amp for the front 3 channels and the two for two rear channels then run the rest off the receiver. You could also reassign some channels to do audio in another room as well. Depending on how quickly you want to get all this together and if you find that you have Dolby Atmos and DTS-X on your list then Yamaha may be the answer as they have models with those two formats now and it is hard to say how long the other brands will take to catch up. But yes keep your power amp as it is a good amp and IMHO will out perform the internal amps in a receiver.

bradypunch

Grip
Real Name
Brady
Pulled the trigger on these things last couple of days:

Denon AVR-X7200WA Receiver

Epson 5030UB 3D Projector

Now I just need to get back in my house and get things set up and wait for the Pallisar Seating to arrive :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.