Home Theater Equipment Model Numbers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin C Brown, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I was thinking about this the other night, and got a chuckle of out it. Here's what I have:
    the number "1": Def Tech C-1 center (rear)
    the number "2": Vandersteen V2W sub, Def Tech BP20's in back, 2 Acurus 200x3 amps, Def Tech CLR 2000 center
    the number "3": Def Tech BP-30's in front, Sony MDS-JA333ES MD deck
    the number "4": Tascam DA-40 DAT deck, Richard Gray 400s
    the number "5": Pioneer Elite DV-05 DVD player
    the number "6": Sony PS-X600 turntable, Adcom ACE 615 line conditioner
    the number "7": Nakamichi ST-7 tuner and CR-7A cassette deck
    the number "8": Shure HTS-5300 DPL decoder for THX EX/DTS-ES in back (OK, 5 + 3 = 8!)
    the number "9": Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro
    What would you call that, a straight, or a straight flush? Or something...
    ------------------

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, I'd say you have too much time on your hands. Just kidding. [​IMG]
    As for me:
    1: Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player, Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers, Energy e:XL-S10 10" subwoofer
    2: Sony TC-KA2ES single-well cassette deck, Philips/Magnavox TP-2784C 27" TV
    3: NAD C 370 integrated amp, NAD C 350 integrated amp, Denon DCM-370 carousel CD changer, Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc CD megachangers, Sony PS-LX350H turntable, Sony SCD-C333ES carousel SACD/CD changer, Sony CDP-X3000ES CD player (Japanese model), Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray CD recorder, Sony MXD-D3 CD/MD deck
    4: Sony STR-V444ES A/V receiver, Pioneer CLD-D406 LD player, JVC HR-S4600U S-VHS, Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player
    5: Sony MDS-JA555ES MD deck, Sony CDP-XA5ES CD player (European model), Sony DHC-MD555 CD changer/MD changer shelf system
    6: Sony DVP-C670D carousel DVD changer, Pioneer Elite PD-65 CD player
    7: Sony SCD-777ES SACD/CD player, Pioneer CT-WM77R cassette changer
    8: Sony CDP-CA80ES carousel CD changer
    9: Sony MDS-JB930 MD deck
    I did it! No '0', however. Guess I have to buy a Pioneer Elite DV-05, DV-09, or DV-F07 DVD player. [​IMG]
    Kevin, how do you like the Sony MDS-JA333ES MD deck? I don't encounter too many people who own ES MD decks. I bought the Sony MDS-JA555ES brand new in June and am loving it. It is practically impossible to track down since it was discontinued awhile ago, and I don't think Sony made too many of them anyway. Sony offered the MDS-JA20ES at the same time, which was more common. Anyway, www.soundpros.com still had the 'JA555ES back in June. They are the only dealer I know of that still had it. I debated whether to go with the 'JA555ES or 'JA333ES. I went with the 'JA555ES because I had read more about it at the time of purchase. Since then, I've read a couple favorable reviews of the 'JA333ES in British hi-fi magazines. I haven't seen one firsthand, however.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I was about to say the same thing, you have too much time on your hands! [​IMG] Just kidding again.. [​IMG]
    Here's my system "by numbers":
    1: Outlaw 1050 receiver, Yamaha APD-1 RF demodulator, Philips Pronto TS1000
    2: Pioneer CLD-S201 LD player, Platinum Audio Studio 2 speakers (centers and surrounds), SVS 20-39CS
    3: JVC HRS-3800U SVHS VCR, Platinum Audio Studio 3 speakers (mains)
    4: Mitsubishi WT-46805 HDTV
    6: JVC TD-W60 dual cassette deck
    7: Aiwa AM-F70 portable MD recorder/player
    8: Peavey CS800 amplifier (for the SVS)
    9: Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD player
    So I'm just missing 5 and 0. [​IMG]
    Keith, I don't think I've ever seen someone with so many MD decks! [​IMG] I've been tossing around the idea of getting a home deck for the past year or so, but other things keep coming up. I've had my eye on the MXD-D3 or D40 for copying CDs, and the MDS-JB940 for the main system. Not sure which one to get first, since I don't really listen to MD at home, just in the car and on the portable.
    KJP
    [Edited last by Kevin P on August 10, 2001 at 01:29 PM]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, I am thinking that we discussed MD decks recently. I don't think the discussion was with someone else. Yes, I have many MD decks, but I absolutely love the format. The 'JA555ES is my latest audio pride and joy. It's a great deck and is hard to find. The 'JB930 was moved from the main system to the second system when the 'JA555ES arrived. The 'JB930 replaced a 'JB920 in the second system, which I sold. I have the MXD-D3 in the second system along with the 'JB930. I use the 'D3 for recording due to the convenience of high-speed dubbing and the 'JB930 for playback since it is the better player.
    I've sort of come full-circle with MD. The MXD-D3 was the first MD deck I bought in February 2000. I liked high-speed dubbing with the 'D3, but didn't like the sound, so I replaced the 'D3 with the 'JB930 in June 2000 (only had one system at the time). I was able to sell the 'D3 on eBay back then for only $5 less than I paid for it. In time, I missed the ability to dub at 4x speed, so I bought the 'D3 again back in February for less than I paid for the it the first time. As a dubbing deck, the 'D3 is great. I would assume the 'D40 is just as good. It adds MDLP.
    ------------------
    My:

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Keith- Well, umm, I sort of cheated.
    I go pick up the MDS-JA333ES in Sept.
    I have a MDS-JA20ES now, before that it was the Kenwood MD-1050 (or something).
    I am pretty sure that both the 555 and the 333 are still current. Best I can tell, they both were only released last year. (And yes, I also saw the 333 review in the British mag.)
    Do you know about www.minidisc.org?
    I like the 20, that's why I'm going to go for the 333.
    Very well built stuff. And I like the tray loader. I've never personally been able to hear any differences with CD/lp, but I sort of suspect that they are there. (Fuzziness in the highs. Although the more reputed artifacts are pre-echo before percussive stuff.)
    ------------------

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, will you still have the 'JA20ES when you pick up the 'JA333ES? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how they compare. I expect the 'JA333ES is the better unit based on what I've read.
    The 'JA555ES is last year's model and with the 'JA20ES, has been discontinued. Sony replaced these two models with the 'JA333ES early in 2001 as I recall. The 'JA333ES appears to be more like the 'JA20ES in terms of build quality. If memory serves, these two players weigh around 20 lbs., whereas the 'JA555ES weighs in at a shade over 33 lbs. Of course, this say nothing about the sound quality. I know the 'JA333ES has the MDLP function, which the 'JA20ES and 'JA555ES lack. For some reason, none of the ES decks have a PC keyboard input.
    Also, I am familiar with www.minidisc.org and www.minidiscussion.com and do check them every so often. They are very good sites.
    ------------------
    My:

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Keith- www.minidiscussion.com, cool!
    If I remember correctly (from minidisc.org!), the biggest difference between the 333 and the 555 is that the 555 has independent power supplies for the analog part and the digital part of the deck. Or maybe between the electronics, and physical mechanism. But the difference in list was only $100 to the 333!
    I will have both at once, so I'll have to see how they compare. I've had the 20 for maybe 2 years now, so I expect some subtle improvement in electronics, (de)coding, etc.
    ------------------