Home Theater enthusiast torture!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Kolinski, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Went to my brother in law's house to eat Sunday,had a great meal etc..by about 7 I was ready to cruise,after spending a buttload completely upgrading our H/T set up ,HK 520,JVC progessive DVD,56in JVC HDTV etc ,I was wanting to get home and kick back[​IMG] .Well.........then the topic of "who wants to watch a movie" comes up[​IMG] ,suddenly I'm trapped watching a DVD i had seen 3 times already ,on a 19 in TV,old 2 channel stereo,on some Wall-Mart DVD player.[​IMG] My vision is bad enough ,so i'm sqinting ,with my glass's.LOL.When we left about 9:30 ,wife and I both just busted a gut laughing,just spent a ton on HT stuff,and ended up watching Spider Man for the 5th time on a $150 HT set up.He's not poor or nothing,but just like normal people,doesnt mean much to them,like it does to us.

2. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I feel sorry for you. Hey, it could have been worse. It could have been on a mono tv, and on VHS.

3. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

"Times is hard..."

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

That's almost as funny as the employee at "The Brick" telling me how the Bose mini cube speakers are better than Reference Paradigms[​IMG]
    True story
    Brent

5. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Are you saying I shouldn't waste my money on Paradigms when I could buy a Bose system for twice as much. Ok, sign me up.

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Hey now, I'm a poor college student with a computer (dvd-rom drive, of course), 17 inch Sony Trinitron monitor and a 3 piece Altec Lansing speaker set...don't be dissin' me! [​IMG] Well, I guess you're not dissin' me, because I won't settle for what I have when I can do better...that'll just take some time. [​IMG]

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

As a fellow Tulsa, OK resident....I feel your pain! I hate going over to peoples houses to watch movies. For instance the inlaws used to have this old 27" Mono Sanyo TV that had the WORST green tint to the picture and had a magenta haze in the upper left corner. Well they out of the blue called me up and asked me if the new Sony 51WS500 TV was worth their money, I said sure! So now they have this awesome 16x9 HDTV and Dolby ProLogic surround sound and a VHS player. I felt so bad I gave them my old Pioneer DV-535 that I was not using so atleast now they can watch DVDs.

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

HAHA! The mods changed the title of the thread from Home Theater nut torture to Home Theater enthusiast torture. Hehe...Nut torture. [​IMG]

9. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    on the topic of torture, but not in relation to other people's "HT" gear, I find myself tortured when watching broadcast TV. I suspect (can anyone confirm?) that the current season of The Practice airing in Singapore may have been shot widescreen, since I'm seeing rather strange framing (e.g. two people each half cut-off at the sides) which are indicia of pan-and-scan.

as another example, I know Angel S3 was shot widescreen, so watching it here on pan-and-scan was just utter torture but I had to grin and bear it.

(strangely the Sopranos full-screen didn't really bother me. perhaps it was shot to be 4:3 pan-and-scan safe.)

and of course any time a movie is shown on TV.

saving grace: at least Enterprise is broadcast letterboxed. whew. as was ER's previous season, although I must say I got the feeling that it was matted since headroom (and chin-room) always seemed a bit tight.

10. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Jeffrey..........oops........ just caught the torture thing[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

I have also been Tortured By the 19" Mono set with a VCR.

My god it was a Nightmare.

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I found myself watching X-Men the other day on a 19" mono TV w/ DVD the other day, composite connection... and HE HAD THE PLAYER SET IN 16x9 MODE, SO IT WAS STRETCHED UP AND DOWN!
    When I mentioned the problem to him (my friend, whom I love like a brother), he just said "who gives a shit? I can't tell the difference!"... sigh [​IMG]
    I wanted to die [​IMG]

13. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

That's funny Rob. Some people just don't give a crap no matter what bizaar set-up they have.
    I ran into one conversation my co-workers were having a few days ago. The one guy was praising his new Samsung VHS/DVD all-in-one player. "It's the best of both worlds." He says. I just rollod my eyes and dodn't waste my breath.
    This guy wants to rent DVD's and put them on tape. WHY??? I have no idea.[​IMG]

14. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    The worst is when they not only have a tiny TV, but it's 20 feet away from the couch!

The only upside I can think of with that setup is that you don't see any jaggies on the screen...