Home Theater Direct

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RonGecan, Jun 20, 2002.

1. RonGecan

RonGecan Agent

Hi everyone,
    Sorry if you get this sort of question often, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with speakers from Home Theater Direct? (www.hometheaterdirect.com) They're mail order only, so no way to know what you're getting beforehand, though I had seen a couple people point them out in this forum. Their website has links to reviews, but who knows how legit/independent these are. Any help you can give is appreciated!
    Ron.

2. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

I have just recently ordered the combo Y set and I should get them on tuesday. I will be sure to give you my review then. [​IMG]

3. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

I ordered a pair of Level One's for temporary surrounds with my Def Tech SM350's. Theys sound very good. They are not the most high tech looking, in fact they look kind of cheap. However, they sound good. Sometimes I wish I had just ordered all Level Two's.

I am more upset at my Def Techs than I am my HTD's. I can't hear 10 times better sound quality even though the price of the Def Techs was 10 time more.

The best thing I liked about HTD was their customer service. I accidently clicked the wrong button on the website and ordered the white Level One's instead of the black ones. I sent them an email and in less than a week I had black ones. They included a return label for the white ones at no cost to me. I even told them it was my fault for clicking the wrong button.

They have a 30-day money back offer including shipping. If I was looking for a low cost, decent sounding speaker system, I would go with them. By the way, CNET.com had reviews on the Level Two and Three, and cheaphometheater.com has a review on the Level Three

4. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Lowell:

5. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

"Am I correct in assuming that what you are trying to say is you feel the DTs aren't worth the extra money? "

Compared to the Price/Performance of the HTD's I would have to say yes. Compared to other products on the market, I would say Def Techs give a good Price/Performance.

Sometimes I wish I would have settled for a "this is good enough" system. To finish matching my Def Tech's is going to cost more than I really wanted to spend. I have two kids to invest for college for.

Is it my mistake, yes. Do I have to live with it, yes. Do I want other newbies to learn from my mistake, yes. People really need to decide how much money they want to spend. Even if you build the system over time. The costs actually seem to add up more because you don't see it all at once. If I had it to do over again I would have probably bought the Onkyo HTS-650.

6. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

I purchased the level II set about 2 months ago. The customer service was great. Spoke with Brian and Chris before and after purchasing, very helpful. I am happy with the quality and sound of them. When I find the time i will post a full review.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I have the HTD level 3 center and think it is great. $140 for a center of this quality is fine with me. It performs very well. I bought the towers at the same time and really liked those to. I did send the towers back though. I basically am 100% HT so I tried the Advent towers out from Costso for $75 apiece. They will work fine for a year or so and they match up with my center pretty good. The center is better quality and does very well. Myself, I just can't tell that big of a difference To warrant so much more money. Now a sub is a whole different ball-game with me. I will go to no end if I could just do as I please and when I please.[​IMG] WAFWAFWAF. I have had three subs in the last eight months and plan on the PCI+ or VTF-3 the first of the year. Am leaning PCI. Don't be to bummed-- we all go overboard in this hobby or obsession. I have learned by mistakes that for ME to much money is to much money for what you get. If I was a big music guru and really put as much into it as I do HT -- then??? This is just me. We all have our different't priorities. When it comes to subs my wife and friends would say I am a nut and they do at times. You no what? They are right.

8. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

I have a friend who bought the level 2 mains and he likes them very much.

Let me pose another question about HDT. Given the choice of getting a Home theater in a box like the Kenwood set or getting the HDT level 1 set and an amp (totally $500 for everything), which would sound better?

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

David what amp are you thinking about. I can whole hardily speak up for the Kenwood 504. I have upgraded the center, the mains and the sub. But I really did not need to do this. The sub I would say will make the biggest difference. That I did need to. The center I would put second. Look at the level three center. That's what I run. I possibly should have stopped there. Well guess not- mains need to match close. I here good things about the Onkyo to. The sub the 504 comes with is very good for the money but a good sub will make a big difference. You will get more speaker in the 504 configuration and it is upgradable down the road if you desire. I guess you might get a better amp if you went with the level one con-fig but then you would have shipping and the Ken amp " VR 507" is very good for the money. I am very happy with it as many others are. Let us know what you decide. Good Luck!

10. RonGecan

RonGecan Agent

Thanks for the info/opinoins. I see too someone posted a very sastisfactory opinoin on the HTD level 1's -- I'm planning on the 3's especially since CNET (as somone pointed out) gave them high marks.

Javon, please let us know what you think when you get 'em in. I'm quite interested in what you'll have to say.

Any others with experience here?

11. carlos f

carlos f Extra

Ron,
    I have the HTD Level 3 Combo Y, minus the sub.

I am extremely happy with their performance, especially
    for the price. I compared them w/Paradigm and NHT and I think they were just as good and much less expensive.
    I actually ended up upgrading all my equipment as I didn't fell i was doing these speakers justice.

I now have a Rotel RSP 1066, RB 1070, and RMB 1066
    and the combo sounds awesome.

I think the best bargain of the bunch is the center channel.
    Clarity and imaging is great and for $139 I haven't heard a another center that comes close.

Service was great, speakers were shipped very securely.

I highly recommend these speakers.

-Carlos

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I tried the level three towers out and really liked them. I have been spending to much lately on HT so I sent them back and did keep the level three center. I plan on getting the books the 1-st of the year. The towers can take what-ever you throw at them. They sound great as the center does to. HTD does what it says it will do no hassle or questions. They are as good to work with as it gets-- imo. Am glad to here your opinion to carlos. I wandered if there was really that much of a difference?

13. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I received my HTD Level Three "Y" combo yesterday. I'm still waiting on my receiver (Denon AVR-1802) to arrive, but in the interim I connected my roommate's old (very old) Pioneer receiver to the towers only. So far I am pretty happy with them, but the real test doesn't begin until the good receiver arrives.

14. David Joor

David Joor Auditioning

Josh you are in the same boat I am, I am planning on running the same setup but I am wondering if the 1802 is powerful enough to do these speakers justice?

15. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

David;

The 1802 with its 80 watts per channel will provide plenty of power. When I was using my HTDs in my home theater, I was using an Onkyo 575X receiver, which produced 70 watts per channel. Believe me, it was enough, unless your room is abnormally huge.

16. Chris Hiter

Chris Hiter Stunt Coordinator

I bought the "Y" combo minus the sube also about a month ago. I am absolutely amazed. I had a HTIB Kenwood series and these blow it away. It is just a whole new experience. The chose to go with the towers just for there looks and my casual music listening. I did try the bookshelves up front once just to see and they sound great for HT so if you want to save some money and don't listen to music all that much, go with them. I now use the Onkyo SR600 with this set up and I am amazed everytime I watch a movie. It took my center a week to get "broken in". I say these are one of the best deals I have gotten on my system. I use the Sony sub with this and everything seems to mesh well.

17. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

Hey Ron,
    Today is the day I receive my HTD setup and as soon as I set 'em up I will give you a little pre-review on how they are and then later on in the week I shall give a better review [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Ron-

I also have purchased many speakers from HTD. My 4 rear channels are HTD. The rear left and right are level II and the rear centers are in walls. The best ones they make (I forgot the model number). Make sure you purchase at least level II or III. You will get the better crossover that way.

Chris is great over there. I also purchased 5 pairs of in- ceiling speakers with the vol. control for my whole house audio. When they are all instled I will tell you how they sound.

The rear channels look good. The black color matches enought with my Def Tech. mains. (3000 series including center)

LowellG, the HTD sound great, but the def techs do sound better. Are they worth 10X the price? Well for me it meant not having to buy a seperate sub yet. I heard the HTD sub is so-so. I would save the money and but a SVS or something else. Email me if you have any other questions.

PS the in-wall and in-ceiling speakers were real easy to put in.
    my $.02
    -Michael

19. RonGecan

RonGecan Agent

Wow, all this response is great. Thanks. With all the positive comments I think I'll grab the level 3's combo y's right...about....NOW! Ok, maybe in a couple weeks after I get the receiver figured out.

20. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

Hey Ron,
    I hooked them up last night and that center channel is pretty big on top of my Toshiba 42H81. The design is so nice and sleek and it smells good :b . The packaging is very secure and tight. The sound is amazing and the bass on those speakers are so good i might not get an SVS since i live in an apartment and dont want to rattle stuff on peeps walls and will just get the HTD level 3 sub just for a little more "UMPH" [​IMG] . Mind you, this is the first set of speakers I have hooked up on my own and it was simple and gave me NO problems at all. I popped in a movie (Vampire Hunter D, its an anime i love them!) and the sound was so good that my girlfriend felt it and heard everything cleary from 3 rooms down the hall and it wasnt even up all the way!!! I popped in an xbox game (dead or alive 3) and everything sounded on point and the thumps from slams packed alot of bass. When I get some more movies to test out I'll give you a better review and when they are also broken in [​IMG]... right now i give em 4 stars! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]