Home Theater Direct

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Richter, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Mark Richter

Mark Richter Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone dealt with this company?
    Home Theater Direct
    http://store.yahoo.com/htd/index.html
    I have never heard of them before and was wondering if you people can give me any of your experiences either good or bad just incase I decide to buy from them.
    How are their products?
    Thank you
    - Mark

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Mark;

I purchased a set of Level III speakers from them. For what you pay, they are an excellent value. My personal feeling is that they sound better for home theater purposes than for critical music listening. In other words, the name "Home Theater Direct" really fits the brand well.

The company itself is a pleasure to deal with. The delivery of my speakers was prompt, as were the answers to any questions I had.

Are you thinking about getting them?

3. Mark Richter

Mark Richter Stunt Coordinator

Was seriously considering them. I do listen to all kinda of music and to home theater. Put it into prespective, my last speakers were a set of Design Acoustics PS-6 that I have had for about 16 years but the foam surrounds are gone. I do not want to spend the $125 to fix them. I love the sound of the old ones.

4. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

I have the HTD Level III towers, center and mains for my system. I will also echo Jeffrey's assessment of the HTD speakers. They are very good value for what you pay for them. The strength of their speakers is the amount of bass that they put out, especially the towers. They are not particularly good with music reproduction but personally I think they are adequate. The company itself is very nice to deal with and has a no-hassle return policy. What really did it for me when I ordered is that they only charge up to $20 for shipping regardless of what you order. This is really quiet a saving, shipping charge for a 5 speaker set could have easily cost $100 and more. The speakers themselves are very well built and actually really heavy. Anyway, CheapHomeTheater.com and audioreivew has some review of their stuff. Hope this helps.

5. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

Mark - Just thought I'd mention that I had a similar problem with my 10 year old Fried Betas and had to replace the foam surrounds about a year ago. Got a replacement kit from Stepp Audio (www.steppaudio.com) for about $25 as I recall. Kit comes with good instructions and I didn't have much trouble doing the replacement. Best I can tell, the Frieds sound as good as new! (In fact, IMO they outperform a pair of Norh 4 s I own) Anyway, the do it yourself approach might be something to consider if you want to salvage your Design Acoustic speakers.
    Bob

6. John Kemer

John Kemer Auditioning

Mark,
    I have had the HTD level III "Y" configuration with the front towers for several months now. I find them to be a terrific value at the price and better with music than I had anticipated. I have an audio only system in another part of the house with far more expensive speakers. My Home Theater shares space with my Home Office and I find myself listening to a wide variety of music over the HTD's. They are brighter than my Boston's but, to my ears at least, do quite well with music. John Kotches has an interesting review over at www.hometheaterhifi.com.
    John Kemer

7. JoeyB

JoeyB Agent

I also have the HTD level III Y-set, with an extra main speaker for a rear center of a 6.1 setup, using an Onkyo 797 receiver. As the others have posted, it's a great deal for the money. The subwoofer is the weak link in the setup. I find some of the dialogue to be harsh, but overall they sound quite good.

Both my towers had to be returned initially - one due to enclosure damage during shipping (despite quite robust packaging), and the other due to a loose screw/nut internally. They promptly shipped me new towers, along with prepaid return shipping labels. Service was outstanding.

JJB

8. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

HTD is a pleasure to deal with. I am in the process of buying 8 in-ceiling speakers and they are a GREAT value. If you are skeptical compare them with speakers from Axiom, nOrh, Swan Diva, Ascend Acoustics etc. They also have good values for speakers. Some say that the HTD III are not hte best "looking" speakers if that matters to you. When you have finished comparing I think you can justify why the HTD III are a great value.

9. Jeff_E

Jeff_E Extra

Own HTD level 3 5.1 set up and love them. I have played DVD Audio Disc and DTS disc and they blow me away. Service was wonderful from HTD.

10. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

I ordered the level three bookshelfs and honestly I was disappointed right away. I thought the lack of highs I was getting was due to the wiring so I biwired them, and made myself at least beleive they sounded better, it didnt really help that much though. There just wasnt enough treble for me I felt that the high end was kind of muffled- a good thing is they are not fatiguing at all and you can listen to them pretty loudly for as long as you want. They do however have excellent midrange and one of the best, most open soundstages ive heard from a speaker. Im sure they would be great for movie use. Anyways, due to the lack of highs and my desire for higher power handling, i got myself some JBL S38's and couldnt be happier!! perfect treble and more bass than you could beleive. i ended up selling my levels iii's to my brother. so if you want them for movie use and if they seem like a good deal, go for it. othwerise i dont think they're the best option for critical music listening.