What's new

Home Theater Direct Vs Aperion Audio? (1 Viewer)

Emile

Agent
I have been trying to find a good speaker system of late and at the moment I am trying to compare Aperion audio Intimus 5.1 (12'sub-250 watts) with Home theater Direct's level three 5.1 system (150-watts). Though both systems are the same price Home theater direct will give you 4 towers plus center and sub for 1300 while the Aperion audio system costs the same but only comes with bookshelf speakers for the front and rear left and rights. Has anyone heard both and can make some judgements? Or does anyone have better speakers for the same price in mind? Thanks.

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
When faced with the same question I chose Ascend Acoustics and have been quite happy. I think their 5.1 setup runs about $1200 these days. Very nice, especially if you like laid back speakers and music is a priority in addition to home theater.
BTW: I did a review of my Ascends and put it up online if you're curious http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~judy/Ascend_review/

Emile

Agent
I read your review and it was very helpful, thanks. But I was wondering if it would be better to use CBM-170's for all five mainspeakers instead of the less powerful HTM-200's for the side rear left and rights? I was also wondering if you actually heard aperion audio speakers before you made your choice (since the only way to do so is to get a demo from a friend or order them and then return them)? Also, I noticed in your review that you mentioned several DTC companies but you left out Home Theater Direct (level three). Have you heard any of their speakers? Thanks.

BrianAe

Second Unit
I haven't compared side by side but I heard last years hometheater direct 5.1 system with tower and then purchased Aperion this year. I'll say I think they are both pretty nice but the Aperion is a fairly large step up. The sub itself is especially better and if you look at the price of the Aperion system you'll see that much of it is in the sub. The Aperions also look much nicer but maybe this years level IIIs are improved too.
The other thing to keep in mind is that Aperion has a better return policy. I think with hometheaterdirect, you have to pay for return shipping.
Also, check out www.cheaphometheater.com they did a review of the whole Aperion system, the home theater towers, and more hometheater stuff in a speaker shootout. Ascend did well in their reviews too but I don't like the looks as much.

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
Emile,

I have not heard the Aperion or HTD speakers in person, but I did look through the info on cheaphometheater.com as mentioned in my review and by Brian. Since CHT emphasized that the Ascends were their choice if music was important, I took a shot with them. Had I not been happy with them I would have returned them and tried something else.

As for the HTM-200s in the rear, I discussed this with DF from Ascend and he recommended the CBM-170s in the rear if I did multichannel music, but said the HTM-200s were fine for movies. That said, I am moving up to CBM-170s in the rear now - the recent sale price was too good to resist. I will move the HTM-200s to my office stereo.

I have heard good things about all of the speakers you are considering. One thing to think about is that while I have seen reviews that like the sub in the Aperion package (and the Hsu from Ascend), I have heard that the sub is a bit weaker in the HTD package. Something to consider if a good sub is a high priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks