Home Theater Direct Level III vs others

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex_BZ, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Alex_BZ

Alex_BZ Extra

Hi, everybody.

I haven't been here for long time.

Sorry about that.

I did a lot of searching, and now I'm back to most trusted place.

Question is : I'm looking to upgrade my speakers, trying to decide HTD level three (towers) or paradigm monitors seven also centers from those companies. I listened to several brands. Really liked Boston Acoustics, liked S38 from JBL(only one I liked from them), wasn't really impressed with Paradigm monitors. Probably expected much more and I was listening to them right after Paradigm reference.

My system is used 40/60 music/movies. Room is about 20x20.

I want to know if somebody had any experience with HTD Level III.

How do they perform on music, how do they look (it is important to my wife). Also want to know if they will they outperform Paradigm, PSB in the same price range.

One more question( sorry about long post). Will Yamaha 5240 be powerful enough for HTD level three? It is rated I think 75-80w per channel.

Thanks a lot for any provided help before and hopefully future suggestions.

Alex.

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

3. Alex_BZ

Alex_BZ Extra

Thanks, Chuck.
    Good review...
    Any other opinions?
    Anyone in HTF got them, what would you say about the speakers.
    Still trying to make my desision.[​IMG]

4. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Hi Alex,
    You might check out http://www.cheaphometheater.com. They are big fans of the Level III setup, and they recently ran a shootout review on affordable bookshelf speakers for HT. They also have a forum area over there where you can ask specific questions if you like.
    Good luck,
    John

5. Alex_BZ

Alex_BZ Extra

Thanks for your replies.
    I contacted HTD directly. I wanted to find out how Level III will work with low budget receiver(I'm trying to get a decent system on limited budget.
    Here is the response I got from them.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Hello Alex,
    I really do not think this will be a problem for you. The Level THREE
    Towers have a relatively high sensitivity rating which means they get
    loud really fast. I'd be surprised if you listen to them at more than
    40 watts per channel. Any Yamaha rates their power very conservatively
    so you should have no problem using the Towers with this receiver.
    Thanks for your interest in HTD! Let me know if I can be of any
    assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Brian
    www.HomeTheaterDirect.com
    toll free: 1-866-HTD-AUDIO
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    I'm still looking forward to here your opinions.
    They look like pretty good speakers for really cheap, and they get excellent reviews.
    Can you tell me if there is anything with the speakers, that will make me regret about purchase.
    I'm pretty close to getting them.
    Alex.

6. RobG

RobG Stunt Coordinator

I have the Level Two speakers, except for sub, and am very impressed especially for the price. I would think the 3's would be even better. I listened to 3 or 4 different brands (granted not in my room) prior to these and found nothing in the same price range as good sounding. I do wish now I had gone the 3's, especially since I will be adding an amp. The nice deal is you can listen to them in home for 30 days and return them if you aren't satisfied.

7. Brian AM

Brian AM Stunt Coordinator

I too have been looking quite seriously at the Level III towers. But I am afriad that after I get them I will regret not spending that 1000 for the set on some decent mains like B&W's or Paradigms and working on building a good brand-name surround sound system.
    I know they have the 45 day return policy, however they do not refund shipping on the Level III towers. Besides, once I got them in my home, I'm not sure I would realize if I was missing anything acousticaly. [​IMG]
    Just thought I'd share my apprehensions.

8. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Instead of trying the towers right off the bat, you should try the level 3 bookshelfs. I would think they'd sound very similar, with the towers being a little fuller. Then if you don't like the sound, send the bookshelfs back on them. If you do, then you've got your surround speakers. Alex ... I think one of the things that's a drawback is the size of the level 3 bookshelfs and center. They'd be awful big if you have a small room. Just thought I'd bring that up. Later

9. Alex_BZ

Alex_BZ Extra

Jason,

Do you think they will be to big for the room.

My room is about 20x20.(may be 22x18).

Thanks for replies.

10. David Head

David Head Second Unit

The HTD Level III speakers have a 30 day return policy AFAIK, not 45 days. The most that you would spend for shipping is $45 (for combo-z; 4 towers, a center and a sub) and they refund shipping costs on everything but the towers.

David

11. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Alex,

My room is approximately 18'x12' and the HTD towers didn't overwhelm the front of the room by any stretch of the imagination.

In a 20x20 room (uggh, very bad acoustically due to the reinforcement of one wavelenght in 2 dimensions) I doubt seriously they'd be too large.

If you decide to purchase the HTDs, try to run them non-stop for a few days before you give them a serious listen.

If you have any other questions, post back here and I'll try to respond.

Regards,

12. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

If I were you Alex, I'd take some cardboard and make a representation of the speakers to size and put them in your room where you'd place them. That way you can see how they'll look. I did this and put the representative size model where my surrounds would go and realized that the level 3 bookshelf would be to obtrusive for even me to put on the walls as surorunds. Of course I only have 7' ceilings in my basement and I'm 6'5", so that may influence my decision. I'll have to admit that I did this at the insistence of my lovely wife who wasn't crazy about the idea of such large speakers on the wall. I checked it out and decided it just wouldn't work. Glad she said something, or I would ahve bought them and most likely sent them back. No I still have not purchased any speakers. Oh well. [​IMG]

13. Alex_BZ

Alex_BZ Extra

John,

What do you think about combination HTD III + Yamaha 5240 (70w per channel). Do I need stronger receiver?

Thanks.

14. Greg Lee

Greg Lee Agent

I have a set (since early December) and I'm well pleased with them. I did send the subwoofer back and got an SVS with BFD equalizer; the combination of the HTD sub and some bad room dynamics did not give a very pleasing result. By the way I do not have the towers.

I have not listened to lots of other speakers, so I can't make well-informed comparative statements. My Dad has a killer bona-fide high end system, so I do have a feel for what really good sound is. Having said all that, I find the HTDs, especially in combination with the SVS, to sound pretty good. I am powering them with Onkyo 696 rcvr, rated for 100W per channel.

Regarding size: a 20x20 room is pretty big; I can't see how the HTD's would be too large. Mine are in a 20 x 25 room. Regarding appearance: I have the cherry finish, and I (and my wife) think its very attractive. Its not even a simulated woodgrain, more of a large-scale mottled finish that kind of 'implies' wood, and they look quite nice.

Finally - the wall mount brackets that HTD sells work really well for me; economical price, good adjustability, etc.

15. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Hey Alex, I have the HTD Level IIIs. I got them little over a year ago and love them. I don't know of a better speaker for $200/pair. I myself have two pairs of the Level III bookshelves for my mains and surround channels as well as one center channel, perched atop my Toshiba widescreen TV. I opted not to go with their subwoofer, seeing as I wanted something a little more powerful. Originally I paired them up with a Rava from Adire Audio and that suited these speakers very well. Eventually, an opportunity to get an SVS presented itself and I replaced the Rava with an SVS 16-46PC. Let's just say I'm not lacking in the bass department these days. [​IMG]
    I guess what I like the most about these speakers is that they present a nice warm sound that's easy on the ears. Of course that doesn't mean that they can't kick ass when you want them to. They certainly can be played very hard and very loud. As they mentioned in that Secrets of Home Theater review, they also exhibit excellent imaging qualities far better than most speakers in that price range. I encourage you to give them a shot.

16. Greg_Bedard

Greg_Bedard Agent

I've had the Level III combo Y (two towers) since about June and I have not been disappointed. This is the first real set of speakers I've ever gotten (so I can't really compare them to anything) and I like them more and more each time I play them (they need a good amount of break-in time).

I got the Onkyo 595 with them at first, but I just didn't feel that they were driving them well enough. Whether I was right or not, the 696 goes much better with them. They are great together for movies and I think they hold their own with music.

They have great customer service that will do everything they can to ensure that you have a good experience with their product. I had a bad cone on one of the towers and they instantly sent me a new one. I still didn't like the sound coming out of the "bad" tower, so they sent me a whole new tower speaker and I didn't have to pay for any of it.

I think biwiring also helps, so I would try that on the towers and center.

I pretty much agree with the Secrets review, but here's my quick synopsis:

The towers absolutely kick ass and the bookshelf surrounds are also very good, though they are big. The center is above average and good, but not great (but getting better and better with time). The sub is the weak link in the system though it is entirely adequate for my current situation (apartment living - ugh). When I get a house next year, I think I'll get an SVS.

I thoroughly researched like all of you guys before buying the speakers and I kept coming back to the HTDs Level IIIs and I would not change my choice if given the chance. For the money, I really, really don't think that you can beat them.

Any other questions, just email me.

Hope this helps.

17. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Alex,

I apologize for my exceptionally slow reply to your query.

70wpc will be fine for "non ear shattering" volumes.

If you find the Yammie can't crank it up enough, you can always goto an outboard amp, with great values in used amplifiers available.

Regards,

18. Alex_BZ

Alex_BZ Extra

John,

One more question for you.

How would you compare them to Paradigm Mini-Monitors and CC- 370 ?

That's basically what I ended up with.

Now I have to make a decision. Paradigm or HTD III.

What do you think.

Other people welcome to contribute their opinions.

Alex.