1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Home Theater Direct Level 3 Bookshelf's vs. Paradigm Atoms or Titans??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Scott Rickards, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

The HTD speakers seem to be a CRAZY value....
    How do they measure up to say the Paradigm Atoms or Titans??

2. Roy-BE

Roy-BE Auditioning

3. BrianShow

BrianShow Auditioning

Well, I recently went through this exact same process. I went and auditioned the Paradigm Atoms and Titans. And then ended up buying the HTD Level III bookshelfs, and I am very pleased.
    Don't get me wrong the Atoms are great and I am planning on eventually getting them for surrounds but as mains they just didn't cut it for me. They're just too small. The Atoms sounded alot better than the Titans IMO.
    I am really happy with the HTD's so far. They sound great and are put together really well.
    But as always YMMV, I suggest auditioning both if at all possible.
    -Brian

4. Jay C

Jay C Extra

I went to audition the Atoms and Titans, and ended up getting the Mini Monitors. The sales guys had this cd with a lot of hi hat in it. On the Mini's it was discernable, on the Titans, it was more muted, not as crisp for lack of a better expression. The more I listen to the Mini's the more I enjoy them.
    Jay

5. Kelly Scott Rickards

Do I know about Swans divas??
    I was one of the first to post links about the speakers on this very same forum and I will be buying them in future....
    The HTD/Paradigm speakers are for my Sister-in-law though and the HTD speakers, at 199 for the mains and just 139 for the center look like a good deal...
    I just wonder if they are in the same sound catagory as Paradigm though....

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Cheap Home Theater is doing a speaker showdown between several speakers, including the HTD Level III towers, Swan Diva 2.1s, nOrh 4.0s, and a few others. Can't remember if the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 is in there or not.
    The results should be available around the 15th so if you can wait ...

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Atoms sound more "punchy" and tight, but I returned mine, which I was using as surrounds, and traded up to a second set of Titans because the Atoms just do not have enough bass extension. The Titans do not have the best bass extension either, but it is much better than the Atoms. Atoms are definitely not a good choice for mains. I got my Titans for an excellent deal: $286 for all 4, and they are even the shielded ones.
    The mini-monitors are hard to beat in the price range. I missed out on my opportunity to buy a set of 4 for about 30% off. [​IMG] I am not sure if I will upgrade to these or a some B&Ws.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

8. Kelly Scott Rickards

Where did you get Titans for that price???
    How much do Mini-monitors go for?
    I have a Paradigm dealer in my town...is this my only Paradigm option, seeing as there are no online sales of this brand???

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

To Keith,
    Mini-Monitors list for $350 per pair. Buying through a dealer is your only option. If you are planning a trip to Canada you can get a pretty good deal with the exchange rate being favorable to the U.S. dollar.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't think Paradigm allows anyone to sell their products online, and they are fairly critical when choosing distributors.
    Canada is your best bet, as stated.
    I just got lucky on my Titans. [​IMG]
    My dealer has an annual clearance sale and drops prices significantly. Their price for the mini-monitors was $285/pr (normally $350/pr), so 20% off. Hopefully I can get that deal again soon.

11. JoelW

JoelW Stunt Coordinator

12. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I got the Mini Monitors for $300/pr, I was looking for a pair of speakers for my stereo (no surround sound) and I was on a budget. I heard one other Paradigm speaker, I think it was the Titan, and the Mini Monitor was much better. It was really close to the PSB Alpha, also in the same price range. The other speaker I listened to was the NHT SuperOne, and while it sounded really sweet, I ended up buying the Paradigm for its bass. Of course, a month later, I bought a subwoofer [​IMG] So, if I had to do this over again, I might have gone for the NHT, I don't know. Some days, I love the Paradigm's exciting sound, some days, it's a little tiring. Depends on my mood, I guess.

13. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Joel;
    I look forward to the great cheap speaker showdown! It should be especially interesting for me, since I have the HTDs, and a friend of mine is getting the nOrh 4.0s very soon. It will be very interesting to see how these two companies compare in terms of overall sound quality.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!