What's new

Home Theater Dimensions, projector placement, etc. (1 Viewer)

JackB

Grip
I am unfortunately restricted to a relatively small room for my dedicated home theater. The maximum width it can be is 11', ~18' in length, 7'6" to 7'9" in finished height. The projector could be mounted in the room behind the theater and project though a hole in the wall if that would help. I am soliciting comments on how to lay this space out properly seating, projector placement, screen size, etc. any comments will be helpful and appreciated.

Other info. that may be be important:

Projector: Sharpvision XV-9000 FP {dlp}
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-29TX
Speakers(crappy I know, when I win the lotto I'll replace them):
BOSE AM-7s for front speakers
{replaced center speaker with Bose VCS-10 that is wired directly to center channel output not through the passive sub}
BOSE AM-3s for rear left and right.
Two 12" KLH 200 watt subs{Bose passive subs don't provide much bass}
Disc Player: Pioneer DVL-91

Theater in in half basement.

Walls: Rear wall partially finished, sheet rock, with r-13 insulation, open closet area where I plan to place the equipment, would appreciate advice on shelving/
racking/venting this in economical manner. Right side wall unfinished, poured concrete, has one window close to the end of what will be the finished room(too be closed off. I'm not sure how I should insulate this, I was going to apply 3/4" of foam board, maybe cover it with roofing felt. Screen end of wall is not built yet, can not afford steward screen, will paint wall with GOO product or something, maybe a regular paint can be suggested flat, glossy, ???, gray? Left wall will be built to enclose metal support posts supporting main/first floor( I was planning on sheet rock.

Furniture has not been purchased, but I won't be able to spend 500 bucks a seat to accommodate viewers. Probably a second hand couch or two picked up at a yard sale.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Have you verified the throw for the 9000U? At 18ft screen to lens, it might just get down to 100" 16x9.

Sanjay Patel

Auditioning
Hi Jack, I just completed my dedicated HT last year and like you, I too was on a budget - I converted my bonus room (17' x 13'). I can't give you too much advise since my room was already copmpleted and I just worked with what I had, but I can tell you some of the things I did. I'm sure there are others out there who know a lot more that me, but for about $4,200 I have a pretty nice setup and all my friends definitely enjoy watching a movie at my place. As for the screen, I didn't want to blow 25% of my budget on that, although many people will tell you that the screen is just as important as the projetor, I figure I can always add a screen at a later date, so for now, I just painted the wall a flat white. To make it look a little nicer, I purchased some molding from my home improvement store and nailed that around the maximum "projection size" - it looks like "real" screen. As for the cabinet, I cut a 2' by 3' "hole" in the wall that backs up to a closet and just built the cabinet out of plywood and painted it black. This way the room looks "clean" - no compontents sitting on the floor and more importantly, my daughter can't get to it. I didn't enclose the back of the cabinet, I nailed 2 nails at each corner in the back and hung a peg board on the nails. This provides ventalation and also allows me to easily remove the back to change any components or wiring. If you are interested, I can email you some pictures. Good luck!

JackB

Grip
Hey! Thanks for the quick replies.

Reading the manual, it looks like I could have a 16:9 screen 92" x 52" or 106" diag., of course that would probably be too large. Maybe it I just had a couch at the back of the room. In fact with the project at 18' I could conceivable project a 133" diag. image. 100" diag. would be the minimum size at 17'11" if I understand the table in the manual. If I ceiling mount the projector in the room I could go a little smaller, and thus have a little more flexibility in furniture placement.

As you can see I blew my budget on the projector for one thing. Also, I remodeled my whole house at the sametime and that cost more than I was planning, so now I'm really broke. I would appreciate the pictures of the cabinet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks