Home Theater Dimensions - new construction

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ShaneM, Jan 15, 2004.

1. ShaneM

ShaneM Auditioning

I'm about to break ground on a new house which will have a dedicated home theater. Currently, the plans call for a 15' x 12' room, which should theoretically give me enough room for a 100" screen (front projector) and a couple of feet behind me for rear sound space. I calculated this using the viewing distance = 1.5x diagonal screen size, which puts the ideal viewing distance at 12.5' (giving me 2.5' for rear sound space).

My question: Have I missed anything? I've run the dimensions by a couple of people that think this is too small (the 15' side, that is). I'd love to get the opinions of those here, especially since the plans go "gold" tomorrow. Thanks!

2. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Hey Shane. New houses are fun! We've been in ours now for about 6 months.

I think that 15x12 might be too small, depending on what you want to do.

We have a space set aside in our unfinished basement for a dedicated theater that is roughly 14x19.

I am planning an 84" wide 16:9 screen, which is nearly 100" diagonal also. Are you planning just one row of seating? If you want more than 1, you may have to put the first row closer than 1.5 times screen width with only 15' to work with.

Another thing to consider is do you want a microperf or other accoustically transparent screen? If you do, then you need to plan to pull the screen out from the wall. I'm planning on pulling my screen out about 30" from the front wall. This will give me plenty of room to mount speakers back there and get back there to work if I need to.

One other thing that we did that you may want to consider, is that we had them sink the theater area a foot below the rest of the basement. This allows us to build a seating riser up in the back of the room, and when you enter the room, you enter at the same level as the riser. You step down as you move to the front of the theater. It also gives me more headroom in the theater.

Matt

3. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Shane, I'll be happy to help you out with your room, design, ideas, etc...shoot me an email if you want!

4. ShaneM

ShaneM Auditioning

Thanks for the response, Matthew. Much to the chagrin of both my architect and my budget, I have expanded the dimensions to 19' by 15'. Since the dimensions are almost identical to yours, we'll have to share notes on how best to use that space. Thanks again.

Shane