Home Theater Design Concept

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Foley, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Don Foley

Don Foley Auditioning

All,
    I've been playing around with a HT design that I'm going to begin building next year, and I've posted it on my site at www.donfoley.com/theater
    I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to HT, I've done a bit of research on the web and have a small foundation now, but I'd be more than happy to get some feedback on the concept.
    I'll be building it myself, which is why I do these things in the first place, and have no problem with drywall, electrical and general carpentry required.
    While I understand some of the basic concepts of projection systems, I know nothing of rear projection realities. I'm hoping to use the room mostly for DVD movies, but would like to be able to view movies from my VHS collection, which include some widescreen titles, and some day run HDTV on it.Would a projector like the Sanyo PLC-SW15 work for this kind of setup?
    Thanks,
    Don

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

First... welcome to the forum!

Second... I am most impressed with your portfolio. I was about to ask you what application you used to render your plan, then I realized you are way over my head.

Third... According to Sanyo the PLC-SW15 is rear projection compatible. And according to projector central, your setup should yield something like a 5' wide screen. So, I don't see anything wrong with your setup. I'm not familiar with the pros and cons of rear projection, I'm sure other members will speak up on that subject. I can only imagine the only con would be the amount of space required behind the screen... but you look you like you have that solved with a clever use of your crawl space. The only problem I might foresee is having to crawl back there to calibrate the projector and/or spiders and millipedes blocking your image. (that might be a cool theatrical effect, though: "eek a giant spider crawling across Renee Zellweger's face!")

3. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

Don,

I really like the though you put into the design of your HT. I'm going through the same process. I'm a novice too when it comes to HT. Unlike Dave, I would like to know what you used to render your design. I think I would like to do something similiar to help visualize it.

I think that might help sell the idea to my wife as well.

Thanks!

-Jeff

4. Don Foley

Don Foley Auditioning

Thanks for the feedback on the Theater. Bugs and dust aren't a problem (for now) it's a pretty clean environment. I also would imagine building a 'box' from drywall around it so I could insulate above it (since two of the speakers would be back here) and to paint it black to keep stray light down.
    For the portfolio I use a huge variety of programs as well as traditional media mixed with digital tools. The theater was done in Electric Image Universe, which is overkill for something as simple as this. You can download Strata Studio Base for free and it would allow you to do the same kind of image. Here's the link Strata home page Mind you, you can spend several days learning the basics of the program, but that's part of the fun.
    Don

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

It is a pretty cool setup. You've got me thinking about burrowing into my basement wall.

Perhaps I'll download that free demo of Strata... 28 Meg at 56K... hmm I better pack a lunch.

6. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

That looks really nice!

A quick question though:

Why rear projection? Why not use a front projection?

It seems to me that your are giving up what could be decent storage area (I am somewhat storage obsessed...). Of course, if you don't need the storage space, it's a cool idea!

-Max

7. Don Foley

Don Foley Auditioning

I'm thinking rear projection for three reasons:

1) to avoid fan noise

2) to avoid having something dangling from my ceiling

3) because I can.

Storage isn't an issue, I've got a huge, empty basement (other than the piles of life's jetsom I've tossed in there because storage hasn't been an issue and that's made me mightly lazy) with 2000 some square feet. I really don't like the nook and would be happy for it to go away.

When I thought up this design, it gave me a handful of nice solutions, such as having a room to mess with all the wires without being crowded (i'm forever messing with my cables as it is, adding stuff, taking stuff away, experimenting) plus, I can always hide in the projector room if I need some quiet time.

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Don, welcome to the forum!

Just looking over your set up it's a cool idea but I really think you will be cheating your self out of precious space for the theater. My last theater was 16'x9' and was it ever cramped. Now if it were me and this is just an idea here, I would use front projection beamed onto the 10' wall by the door. I would move the door back into the theater a few feet so you would not be tripping over speakers and such. Then I would do a three tier seating the third being the back space you were going to have the rear projection. Now I realize there would not be enough standing room back there but you could build a cool audio equipment rack/space there and a great kids seating/play area. This would increase your main theater space and give a big wow factor which I have found stadium seating gives. And gets the kids back behind as to not disruped your movie watching not to mention the kids would think it is so cool. I think you would love the equipment behind the main seating also. You would also gain more room for your surrounds to breath and become more enveloping which EX/ES truly needs.

Just my thoughts!

Wes

9. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Your project looks great...you will be extremely pleased with the rear projection setup. It is definitely the way to go if you have the space. You can gain a few feet on your throw distance by two ways:

1. Put your projector under your screen and bounce the image off of a mirror. You could half the distance you need to fill the same size screen. Just use a mirror that has the reflective surface on the face of the glass, not the back side (any glass shop would know the difference).

2. Use a short throw lens, like a .8-1.2mm. It will fill the same size screen with half the throw also.

The mirror involves a little more setup, but may be cheaper in the end. Good luck on your project...if you have any questions, just drop me a line...

Thanks,

Tim Kilbride

10. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Looks great!

Keep us updated.

11. Don Foley

Don Foley Auditioning

I've updated the design concept based on some suggestions made. In addition to the rear projection concept, I've reworked it to include a front projection to see how it looks.
    It can be seen here
    Thanks for all your feedback!
    The education continues.
    Don

12. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    Hmmm. Can't seem to reach your site Don.

13. Don Foley

Don Foley Auditioning

14. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Getting closer on plan B[​IMG]. Just another thought that I find I really like is to build the riser so it is part of the room. Stepping up and down stairs as you walk through the theater is more true to the real theater feel.
    Wes

15. Don Foley

Don Foley Auditioning

I've posted a new update, an improved page layout and a few thoughts (and questions) about a projector that would work with this setup. Take a look
    Wes, I was trying to make that path to the forward chairs simple. I think if I was going for two or three tiers I would do that, but I'm concerned about making an already tight space all the more tighter. I'll try working up a version though and see how extending the riser feels.
    Thanks,
    df