Home theater calibrated, Movies Good, Audio Not So Good...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Morlan Liu, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Morlan Liu

Morlan Liu Stunt Coordinator

I have a Yamaha RX-V530, JBL NSP1 II speakers, and a DLS 10. I'm using my PlayStation 2 as the source using digital optical cable.

I have calibrated my HT with Video Essentials, 75 db all speakers and 83 db for LFE. Movies sound good at -20 db from ref. level. Lower than that and bass doesn't sound so good.

When I listen to audio, there is very little bass. Is it because I've calibrated to Dolby spec? How do you calibrate for audio?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

You have calibrated for audio. Fact of the matter is there is very little low bass in most recorded music. Plain and simple. I bet if you got a disk that had very low bass tones, like some kinds of hip-hop or rap music you wouldn't say that there was no bass. For 90% of the music I listen to the sub is hardly noticable. Sure, it fills in the lowest octave nicely, but it's not gonna pound your chest. However, if I listen to certain CD's, it certainly presents itself on the right recordings.

In my experience, the sub channel (LFE) is always going to be more prominent for movies.

My .02.

3. Morlan Liu

Hmm...that sucks. =)

I was listening to a CD in the new Lexus GX440 I think it was and it has a Mark Levanson system in it. It sounds really bassy...maybe not low low bass but good mids.

Is it the JBL NSP1 speakers are too small to have much lower bass sounds?

This is my first HT and I went for entry level and heard that my set up especially the NSP1 and DLS 10 were very good entry level equipment.

Am I expecting to much? It sounds good at times...but not exactly as good as I thought it might be. =(

4. Dale Ridgeway

Dale Ridgeway Stunt Coordinator

welcome to world of REAL bass [​IMG]
    I just recieved my SVS 16-46PC+ a couple of days ago and the "old bass" all but disappeared. what I was left with was clean sound that sounded like a great pair of full range speakers. It's taken some getting used to. I had a Deftec prosub 100 and I thought it was great for music. But now im under the impression that if was really bloated around 30-50HZ. I think back to all those car stereos that "SOUND DEEP and powerful " and im sure it's just extremely exagerated midbass. I cant even describe some of reeeeal low end stuff that my new sub produces without any added coloration

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Real bass is unimpressive. You're not used to not having the normal BOOMy bass gone.

6. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Morian,

Maybe the system is not sending bass to the subwoofer when you listen to music. How is your CD player connected and are all the speakers set to small?

Also, are you sure the subwoofer should be set to 83db? That might be way too high. Isn't the calibration tone for 75 (72-73 on RS meter) db like the other speakers?

Where is the subwoofer located in your room and have you tried adjusting the phase control on it?

I have a feeling you have your mains set as large (so most bass is sent to your N24's which can't produce it) and so you crank the sub to get the LFE higher than it should be, to compensate for the missing main-channel bass. That would also mean you have no bass for music.

7. Morlan Liu

I have all speakers set to "Small" and 1DBass set to "SWFR". I read somewhere to calibrate sub to 83db. I think everything is working fine...it's just real bass is pretty low. Thanks for your comments though!

8. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I'd review the entire chain of equipment. This definitely sounds like a setup/technical issue, not one of mere preference. If the sub is calibrated at 83db, relative to the others at 75db, and the speakers are set to small, you should have too much bass, not too little, when playing music(which is what I assume you mean when you say audio).

You should try sending the L/R stereo outputs from the PS2 to the receiver's CD input and see what happens with bass output. Also, try setting the sub to 'BOTH' and listen to its effect.

There seem to be many ways to adjust the sub/LFE output on your Yamaha, and somewhere in there is likely your problem.

9. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

10. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Still, don't you think having the subwoofer set 11db too high would sound pretty "impressive"? I think something else is wrong.

11. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter