Home theater budget falls victim to SVS.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_R, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Mark_R

Mark_R Agent

I've FINALLY saved up enough to get an SVS that I think will be adequate for my room. I going for a 20-39+ (w/ amp) for a room that is 20' x 17'10" x 8' (w/ 14?' cathedrial ceiling) and a 8' x 7' opening into another room and other various anomolies. Unfortunately after this purchase it all starts again to save up for all the other speakers. Maybe in a year or so (unless I get a REALLY nice tax refund) I can the rest of the speakers for my HT. After that is a TV, but too far away for me even to think about. Then, of course, there is getting the SVS some company. Has anyone done a thread on whether or not SVS's get lonely?
    Can't wait to fire this up after all the posts about SVS. I've been on pins & needles saving up to get one. The order has been placed today. Now I'm on pins and needles waiting for it to ship. [​IMG]

2. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

I have a very large family room but my previous sub seemed plenty loud. What I didn't realize was that part of the loudness was due to its inability to accurately reproduce low frequencies.

I bought a CS Ultra plus S1000 amp. Man what a difference. I found that what used to generate noise with my previous sub was actually low frequencies that you feel more than hear. So what I observed was that I can now watch movies at higher volumes because I'm getting clean, clear bass instead of the boomy harmonics.

But my HT room is so big that official reference volumes aren't possible with a single CS-Ultra, so (and I never thought I would EVER say this) my single Ultra already wants a partner.

Of course, my wife is pretty much livid about the size and height of the Ultra, so what's really going to happen is I'm going to have to sell it and buy the shorter CS 25-31 instead.

--Steve

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Steve, sorry you have to sell your current SVS.
    If you have to get the short one, get a 25-31 CS-plus and get it with a custom 22Hz port. That way you won't be losing as much....
    Seems kinda funny considering they take up the same amount of floor space. Maybe you should have gotten a 16-46 first and 'downgraded' to the Ultra LOL.... [​IMG]

4. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I have two 25-31CS's with 22Hz tune. 4500cu.ft of space. Best darned money I have spent yet on my HT. I'll have to get some numbers at my listening level. If the little subs can do this then I can not even imagine what it is like to own dual 16-46's or an Ultra or Plus.
    Just representin' the little SVS's. [​IMG]