'home theater' automation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leo Kerr, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I dunno if this is the right area to ask, but it seems a decent starting point.
    I'm looking for a PC software package (and software only) that will do a number of things (at the same time.)
    First, I want it to take a list of .avi files and play them, full-screen. Okay, so far, that's simple.
    I'd also like it to be able to have .bmp or other static graphic files in the play-list, with a time noted, and 'play' them out, full screen as well.
    It'd be loverly if it could also do a genuine fade-through-black (or better, cross-fade) between still images.
    And I'd like it to also be able to preempt the play-list with real-time events... say, at 10:00am, it aborts the current thing on-screen and plays program X. (I could deal with it starting a new playlist when program X ends, or going back to the next item in the preempted list.)
    And, as a sort of straw to break the camel's back, there's one other request. Between play-list files, I want to be able to embed control cues that would be dumped out via the serial / usb / midi or relays for controlling show-lighting.
    Anyone know if such a critter exists? Or, perhaps even software plus some hardware? (I don't want something that's gonna use a $10,000 turn-key system.)
    Or where I should be looking?
    Thanks, all...
    Leo Kerr
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

2. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Leo -
    Off the top of my head here are some ideas. I don't know your level of expertise but there is a software package called WinBatch (~$500) http://www.winbatch.com that would allow you do do most of what you are describing however YOU would have to program it and make it work.
    As far as the automation I would suggest that you look at X10 stuff http://www.x10.com It is fairly cheap and there are tons of options availible for it.
    Hope this helps,

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    A combination of programs might do what you want.
    For the video and image presentation, a presentation program like Powerpoint would likely work.
    For time-triggered events, you might be able to get by with the TaskScheduler program (the little icon in your system tray, normally set to run the defragger at midnight; it can run any program).
    For automation, X10 stuff might be the easiest way to go.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Okay, as for the automation side, that already exists... I'd either be talking to an AMX control system, an ETC Express lighting console, or an Strand Premiere architectural lighting system.
    I might have to look into the Powerpoint idea again.. at least the first time I looked into it, either my standards were different, or something...
    Leo

5. GregH

GregH Agent

If the AMX you're talking about is Netlinx then they have modules to control your computer. You'll want to look at the PCLink modules.