Home Theater Audio Supplies

Jason Kim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hey everyone,
I wanted to know what kind of stuff do I need to buy to start a Home Theater system. What brand, what do I look for, for sound purposes? Speakers? Amps? Receivers?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
You first need to come up with some type of Budget. You can do surround sound for $199 or $199,000. What is your total budget? What do you currently own that will be used in the new project?

What brands do you like?
What kind of room are you putting this into?

That would give us a start.

Jason Kim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
sorry i wasnt more in depth. well my budget is around $1000. Brand, i do not know a lot of them, but i would like to know some that give good quality. I will be using this for sports, movies, and games. I will be putting it in my living room which is around roughly 15X22 feet.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Well I'll assume that you already own a TV of some type.

Instead of calling this a home theater project lets just call it a Surround sound system for now.

I'll also assume you have either cable or Satellite as a provider.

I would suggest the Denon AVR-1705 msrp ($450)
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3253.asp

and a speaker/subwoofer matched set like the Infinity Modulus system
I found a display model for only (399.89.)
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/544999366

Stay away from HTIB (home theater in a box solutions)

Stay away from any HTIB (Home theater in a box).

That leaves you a little to add a DVD Player if you don't own one and you can always upgrade your TV at a later time.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
PS: stay away from HTIB (home theater in a box) solutions. They are usually a waste of money.

Jason Kim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
thanks homthtr for the info. is my budget to low to have great sound? I think i will beable to spend about 1500 on just the sound.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You could start with a receiver (marantz, denon, HK etc)

and then add in a packaged speaker system, there are many online systems which are excellent choices: ascend, SVS, axiom etc.

If you visit stores I also highly highly recommend auditioning Paradigm for entry systems. That may push your budget though if you add in another sub from say HSU or SVS.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gk3458