What's new

Home theater and turntables?? (1 Viewer)

jen-w

Auditioning
Does anyone know if a turntable can be hooked up to the receiver of the home theater system??? I'm also wondering if is better to buy the dvd player and receiver separate?? If it is the combined dvd/home theater, I'm wondering if a more hi-tech dvd player will come out??? Don't want to be stuck with the combo if a better DVD player comes out!! Any thoughts?????? thanks jen

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You can hook it up to the phono portion of the receiver. Getting the receiver and dvd seperate would be better, yes.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Not all receivers have a phono input, as a matter of fact they are rare on most preamps as well. If your receiver or preamp does not have a phono stage built in you can add a seperate one and connect it to the AUX input.

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
My Kenwood receiver doesn't have a phono input, so that means I could not hook a turntable up DIRECTLY to the AUX ports?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
No you couldn't Ken. You'd need a separate phono amp because it would have the RIAA compensation in it. OTOH, one can always buy a turntable with digital outs today in which case you don't need either a phono input or a separate phono amp.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
as for your other question, i strongly suggest you buy separates if possible. better sound (usually), more flexibility, better durability, etc.

i'm just not a big fan of all-in-one systems....in case you can't tell. ;)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I have a TT and vintage rec. in my "weight room", with the tape-out feeding the aux in on my HT AVR. Works great! I also now know how bad my HT tuner is, or perhaps I need a better antenna. The vintage rig kills it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks