Home Theater and Neighbours Question?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Micheal, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Who here has a HT in the basement of home that is attached to another home? (Like a townhouse)

I'm curious, can you turn up the HT to adequate listening levels (including the sub) without getting too many complaints? Please post your opinions here.

Thanks in advance.

2. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

Basement should be okay unless you have some serious subwoofers. Ideally, go next door and talk to your neighbours. Tell them that you have an HT w/subwoofer and that if the noise is ever too loud, please let you know and you'll turn it down. Most reasonable people won't be offended and I expect you'll find they never bother you. =)

3. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Well if the walls are solid concrete like the ones in mine there shouldn't be a problem [​IMG]

I have mine upstairs though and I always play it loud and never have a complaint and the neighbors are friendly to me. I must be lucky and have thick walls.

If you're thinking of moving into one, ask the landlord how noise is and what their policies are on such things. Don't make it seem like you will be making the noise but that you are concerned about hearing your neighbors.

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

It depends on how your walls are constructed but most townhouses do not have adequate soundproofing for home theater level sounds. Cinder block/concrete with a 1/2" sheet of drywall is not enough. You need to create floating walls, i.e. the framing should not touch the shared walls. Any contact will just transmit the sound thru to your neighbors. The drywall (2 sheets would be even better) should be attached to the frames using resilient channels or Z channels to minimize contact and also stuffed with acoustic insulation. The same should be done with the ceilings. It's a lot of work but necessary if you don't want to annoy your neighbors.

5. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I've got an HT in my basement, and have never gotten any complaints from the next door neighbors.

6. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Hmmm... seems like I'll have to look into this a little further. Any more real life experiences?

7. Law

Law Agent

I used to live in a townhouse with only 1 attached neighbour. Both homes had finished walkout basements but the concrete foundation wall in the basement was only 4 feet high, the rest was just drywall, insulated drywall, but only drywall none the less.

I talked to my neighbour when we moved in and explained to her that I had a home theater and liked to watch movies and if I ever disturbed her, she should just let me know and I would turn it down.

I imposed my own rules on myself, no starting loud (Gladiator, Armageddon, Die Hard etc.) after 8:00pm. Never turning the volume past -22. If I was watching late on weekends, I turned the volume down after 11:00pm.

In the year that I lived there I received 4 complaints from her. The first, she was fine, just a polite knock and a request to turn it down. Each one after that was progressivly worse, the second time she mentioned that my ears were probably bleeding, the third time she said she was calling the police (it was probably 4:00pm on a saturday afternoon), I told her to go ahead, I wasn't doing anything wrong, the police never came. The final time, she stormed over to the walkout entrace and pounded on the door. I opened the door to, "F this, F that...." I told her that I always play movies at the same level and I didn't know why sometimes she got upset and other times it was fine. Just HEARING the movie isn't that same as being disturbed by it. I told her she lived in a townhouse, from time to time she's going to hear her neighbours. She again threatened to call the police and again they didn't come.

I guess my question would be, when do 'quite peoples' rights infringe on 'loud peoples'? In the year that I lived there I NEVER watched a single movie at the volume I prefer (about -12). I tried to be considerat, but trying to watch Star Wars at -35 would bug me just as much as watching it at -12 would bug her.

To solve the problem I bought a house, moved in last Monday and watched FOTR at -10 just to make sure my system still worked the way I remembered. It does.