Home Systems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by greg bawin, Nov 27, 2001.

1. greg bawin

greg bawin Auditioning

Nov 26, 2001
    can anyone recommend a system? i'm looking to spend between 400 to 1000 bucks on a system, but i'm not really sure what i should look for. i'm looking for a good player that can handle both dvd's and cd's, preferablly one that is mp3 compatable. obviously i want surround sound and built in dts capabilities.

i live in a an apartment so i'm looking to have my audio/video system as an all in one system, i don't need a crazy loud audio system for tunes, i'm more interested in a good dvd player that serves as an adequate stereo as well. but that also provides a good surround sound experience for films.

right now i'm using a ps2 as my dvd player and i'm looking to upgrade to a real system, especially at this time of year to take advantage of sales and santa. he he he. also i would like the system to be ps2 compatable as well, for surround sound gaming. i know, i know i'm greedy.

anyway any and all tips, suggestions and recommendations are welcome!
  2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jun 4, 2001
    Jeff Lam
    Thats tough to find on your budget. Are you saying you need a DVD player, Receiver, and speakers?

If so,

Panasonic RV-31 DVD

Yamaha RXV620 Receiver

Energy Take5 speakers

Even this budget system will run close to $1000(depends on the kind of deal you get). This is probably the best budget HT you can buy. If you need to, you can hold on the sub and surrounds if money is too tight but I would recommend adding a sub soon after. Or, you can go with better speakers and add later.
  3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Dec 18, 2000
    Welcome to HTF!

IMO, your best option will be the Kenwood HTB-504 ($400), Panasonic RV-31 ($180), and upgrading the sub to the Adire Audio Rava ($400). That will give you a much better sub than the boomy one that is included with the HTB system and should start you on your way to a wonderful HT.
  4. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

Oct 8, 2001
    You could buy a Bose system, for about $1,200. [​IMG]