Home studio PC technology?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianB, Sep 23, 2002.

1. BrianB

BrianB Producer

From a friend:
    Do you have any muso mates who know a decent multi channel soundcard for home recording? It's gotta be cheap too [​IMG]
    Well, I know there's a few members here who do their own recording. Any reccomendations?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

How many multichannel? I have a Gina, which is only 2 analog in- but has 8 out, and lightpipe input (allowing 8 channels on Adat format, so from a tape machine or a console like the 01V you get 8 ins). It's like $400. There are a few other ones- but I would really ask your pal to decide what the max iinputs he/she will be recording. Do they have a console? Mic Preamps? Anything?

All these issues will influence what they buy. Maudio, Echo, Motu, and a handful of other comapnies have multichannel cards- but the question of which is a balance of quality versus options. I would opt for money spent on quality myself.

If you friend wants to post more info, or email me- I'd be happy to help.

-Vince

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I'm not sure exactly what he's after - I know it's primarily to record material from his band. Best thing to do is for you to talk to him direct I reckon, so I've passed on your email address to him. Thanks for doing this, Vince.

Anyone else got suggestions?

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  5. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

RME cards are generally enthusiastically recommended for recording of any kind. You can probably pick up a card for under $300.

6. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

The Echo "Layla24" is reasonable. It has 8 inputs with 24/96 a/d/c and 8 outputs. Also has midi in/out/through, optical adat in/out, spdif in/out. PCI interface to your PC and a 15' cable to the breakout box. I paid 625.00 at Guitar center.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I spoke with Grant, and it seems his needs are actually resonably tame in this regard. Although he's looking for multitrack for composing- he's only needing to record 1-2 inputs at one time (since he's playing the majority of the material)...

As a result- really his best bet would be a decent two channel 96/24 soundcard and a small format mixer. I suggested the Echoaudio MIA (which has the same 24/96 converters as my Gina and the Layla Chris mentioned) coupled with a small Behringer mixer (like the 602 or the 802).

The MIA comes with Cubase VST, a good multitracking program.

The main issue is I think your friend is looking to handle all audio interfacing (mics, headphones, etc) at the card- which this isn't the best approach (as real mics need some sort of mic preamp- and these cards don't offer that). These cards need some sort of preamp/mixer device to truely get good results. So a small $60 unit like the 602 will give you routing options, 2 mic preamps with basic EQ controls and a headphone/control room output. This should be more than enough to record some very excellent demo material.

Since your friend is on a budget, I suggested picking up a Shure SM57 and a Shure SM58 mic: probably used in a pawn shop, on Ebay or wherever he can find them. Pay around $50 used, around $90 new. This way he can get the card, console and two mics for around $400. Great quality, 24+ tracks and 24/96 quality for the price of a cassette 4 track!

If he decides he has more to spend on Mics, let me know- I have some excellent "workhorse" suggestions (like the AKG C3000, excellent medium diaphram condenser- lots of uses!).

-V

8. DEAN DE FURIA

DEAN DE FURIA Stunt Coordinator

Check Out this on a new multichannel sound card coming out in OCT:

9. DEAN DE FURIA

DEAN DE FURIA Stunt Coordinator

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

This new Soundblaster card is better suited for consumer multimedia- although this is a step in the right direction for these guys.

Soundblaster is not adequate for even basic home studio production. Even with the THX bribe tag in place, I doubt you'll see much support for this product in professional audio circles.

-Vince

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Thanks for the feedback & advice, Vince, much appreciated.