What's new

home security cameras (1 Viewer)

DannyL

Stunt Coordinator
i am having a new home built. the builder is charging $1000 to run cable and hook up a camera (price per camera). that is total highway robbery. they also offer just to run rg-6 and cat5-wiring for $100 (no camera). my question is this. i assume the rg-6 is for video, so does that mean the power for the camera will be through the cat-5 wiring?

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
The CAT5 wiring can be used for anything. There are several individual wires in the bundle that can be used for power, signal, etc. $1000 per camera(!!) is outrageous. Have them just run the CAT5 to every room you would ever want it in, and install the cameras yourself later.

Member Ryan Wright has had some excellent ideas for creating a home security system, and I'm sure he could give you some tips.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I believe DLink makes an 802.11b camera that is completely network/web enabled. Personally, I use a few Axis 2100s and a StarDot all connected via CAT5...

KyleS

Screenwriter
Careful with a wireless camera they are NOT recommended for security since other people can pick up the signal rather easily, especially the cameras used by parents to watch baby sitters, etc. I agree that $1000 is way to expensive unless they are installing movement survos, Color LCD, & Shock therapy for the crooks ;)
KyleS

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I think the 802.11b encryption is strong enough to prevent general wireless interception (e.g., baby intercom stuff) but obviously not strong enough to prevent a brute force attack unless D-Link is using a higher level of encryption. I'm a hypocrite though since I hardwire everything. :D

DannyL

Stunt Coordinator
i plan on using hard-wired cameras for monitoring the outside of my house. i just want to go with something simple (black & white)and that is easy for me to install.
any suggestions? thanks for all the input.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
I was thinking about adding video to security too, but what do you people use for monitoring? Is it just a long running tape? Or are there hardware solutions for turning the recording on/off only when the camera sees 'activity'?

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Hi Danny,
Run one RG6 and one cat5 cable to every location where you might want a camera. Home-run them back to a central location (closet, etc). The RG6 will carry the video signal and the cat5 will provide power and carry audio (if you buy a camera that supports audio). If you want to use pan/tilt devices, run an extra cat5 so you'll have enough wires available.
Check out these cameras. I have experience directly with this camera. Cheap & excellent quality. Works great.
Mike: There are lots of options available for recording, but the best I've heard so far (haven't used myself) was posted here by a fellow HTF member: Use a Tivo! You have to do your research and buy an older model, but you should be able to just set the thing to record in a loop forever. With a ~100GB hard drive, you should get a 7 day loop. Plus, you can review your footage while it's recording.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Oh, one more thing. Don't buy any of the cheap cameras from x10.com. They are toys, and are not meant for real life applications. (If you just want a cheap toy, they work fine, though)

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Ryan: that would surely work, but say I come home and just want to see the activity without fast forwarding 8 hours clouds going by, is that somehow possible?

Ken Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to butt in on your thread Danny but I am also thinking about this but for my business. We are moving into a different building and will have to build interior walls to compartmentalize each area. While doing this I am considering adding cameras to "watch over" our equipment. I know I've read somewhere that there are some systems that can be monitored over the Internet from home. Has anyone had any experience with these? Does anyone have any suggestions about business systems?

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
You really have two options to Internet-enable your cameras. You can buy cameras with built-in web servers, such as the Axis 2100/2120, or you can buy normal cameras and plug them into a video server with a built-in web server (again, an Axis product). It really depends on how many rooms you plan on wiring and the types of cameras you want to use.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I know I've read somewhere that there are some systems that can be monitored over the Internet from home. Has anyone had any experience with these? Does anyone have any suggestions about business systems?
Again, before you finish the walls, run one RG6 and one Cat5 to each location where you might want a camera. Home-run them all back to a central location. That will get you started.
If you want to view these over the web, you're going to spend a bit of money. As Danial said, you'll either buy cameras that have their own web browser built in, or setup a web server. Neither is really all that difficult, but both are expensive, and you're going to need a business class Internet connection to do it. Expect to pay $100-$500 per month for this depending on your needs.
I can answer more detailed questions if anybody has them.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Daniel I would be very interested in these web cameras. What is required on the server end to hook them up? Will just a dial up work or do you need DSL or Cable to really get something out of it? My parents have a bar and would love to check in on some of their employees & to see how business is doing every now and again from home. Any info or help would be great.

KyleS

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I run two Axis 2100s. They will work with a dial-up connection but it's probably more of a hassle then it's worth. A cable/DSL connection will work in a variety of capacities: A) you could have an always active feed that you can monitor from anywhere over the web; or B) you could have the camera upload a 640x480 image to a website of your choice every x number of seconds (I use 7 second intervals). I have a problem where I haven't been able to access the live feed over the web because of my firewall. However, if you don't have a firewall (you probably wouldn't need one in a bar unless you link your office computers to your broadband connection), you should be fine. These cameras can be had for ~$300 on eBay or $400 retail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks