What's new

Home Remore Control System? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Grobuddy

Auditioning
Hi,

All of you were so helpful to the poster who was looking to spend about $12K on his townhouse system, that I thought I'd try this one on you.

I have a pre-wired home that I want to set up for remote access to a centrally located system. I have anbout 7 rooms that have space for speakers in the ceiling or wall and a switch plate for adjusting the sound volume and a cat 5 wire.

I assume the cat 5 wire can be hooked into some computer or device so that I can choose what I want to hear in each room.

Right now I have a pretty good Sony receiver (STR DE-845) and 5 Disk Sony CD Changer in the central location.

Any recommendations on what I should hook up so that i can change stations, choose between radio and CD from each different room?

All help is greatly appreciated!

-Jeff

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
check out niles and xantech websites
smarthome has good deals
one good thing to do is get a good picture on where you want to go with the set up. Then buy with that in mind, not what you have today
(DVD in other rooms? DSS? LD? tape? 1 or 2 zone?)
Lots out there now, all it takes is $$$$$
Grant

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
The absolute easiest and least costly thing to do would be to use the CAT5 as part of a wired IR repeater system. This would allow you to control all components of your stereo system from any room that you eqipped with an IR receiver, using a simple remote control.

If you are handy with electronics, wired IR repeaters are easy to build (search the 'net for sample projects), and if you are not, well then they are still cheaper than wireless IR repeaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks