What's new

Home recording (1 Viewer)

Kadebla

Auditioning
Real Name
Melkor
Greetings! I'm kind of new to home recording and i have a few questions.
Im planning to get myself a Shure SM 57 mic but I've been told that I should also get a preamp. ???
Is a preamp, the thing on a instrument amp where you have the guitar input, headphone input and CD input?
If yes, then how is the whole thing going to work?
Mic > cable > preamp... and what next?
Any ideas. Sorry for the bad English.:D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One variation of many...
http://www.amazon.com/ART-Tube-Studio-Mic-Preamp/dp/B0002E50MC/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344601431&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=miceophone+pre+amp
The OPL is the feature you need the preamp for.

Kadebla

Auditioning
Real Name
Melkor
Ok thanks a lot. I'm kind of getting a picture now:)
When recording my keyboard I normaly used a normal audio cable; jack to minijack( jack went into the keyboard and mini jack went into my soundcard on my pc)
This time I'm aiming to record my guitar in Adobe Audition.
What cables do I need for this and which cable goes where? How do I connect the guitar, the preamp and the pc?

Kadebla

Auditioning
Real Name
Melkor
I think I know what equipment I need, but the thing that I'm confused with is how to connect the whole thing and via what cables?
tell me if this is right:
-connect the mic to the preamp via a female XLR to jack. XLR goes into mic and jack goes into preamp.
-connect the preamp the my pc via a jack to mini jack cable. Jack goes into preamp and minijack goes into my pc.
Is this right?

Kadebla

Auditioning
Real Name
Melkor
Ive just noticed that the ART tube MP also has XLR input and output so a normal cable with XLR male and female at both ends will do

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks