Directors Home or Public Theater

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SarahLeeAb, Oct 28, 2003.

1. SarahLeeAb

SarahLeeAb Auditioning

This is a multiple question poll:

1) Do you go to public movie theaters more, less or equally as often as before you had access to a home theater?

2) What are the most important differences between watching a movie in your home theater vs. watching a movie in a public theater?

Sarah

2. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

1) I actually go to the movies much more often than I did before I got into DVDs. DVDs fueled my passion for film and pushed me into becoming a more active moviegoer.

2) I'd say the most important difference for me is that I feel "safer" watching films at home. I'm not worried about rude people in the theater or the projector screwing up, so I can relax and enjoy a film a lot easier. That being said, nothing can top a theatrical experience when everything comes together right.

3. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Ditto.

2. It's a lot harder to get engrossed in a movie when watching at home. Smaller screen, and too many distractions.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

We are going more frequently, but that has little to do with owning a DVD player.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I prefer seeing movies in the theater...but...

Most movies coming out now do not appeal to me. Also, I'm more interested in older films.

Of course, I'll probably go to the theater to see The Matrix Revolutions and The Return of the King.

6. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

1. I go to the theater more often than the days before I had a home theater.

2. It is a much better experience in a public theatre than home, yes it is annoying to have obnoxious people among you. But i've rarely had bad experience with the presentation of a film and nothing can beat watching it on such a large screen, being able to see every little detail the filmmaker intended.

7. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    1) Less often.
    2) With a 125" screen and digital surround sound that most of the time surpasses the quality of the less consistently quality theater presentation, staying at home beats the theater. This not even taking into account the hight ticket and concession prices, and other interruptions and distractions that folks have mentioned on this thread already.

8. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    1. I go to movies at the theatre more than ever -- about 8 or 9 a month.

2. I prefer the "big screen" experience of the theatre and the ability to see the movie right away. I'm too impatient to wait for the DVD for my initial viewing.

9. Dennis

Dennis Second Unit

10. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I definitely go to the movies less, but I trace this to a number of factors in my personal and professional life, only one of which is my home theater. When I do go now, it's for an 'event' film (and I see less of these than most folks, probably), a foreign/indie film or a afternoon with my daughter (Piglet's Big Movie, anyone? [​IMG]).

The most important difference for me is that I still love the architecture and ambience of the great, venerable movie houses. We we go out to the movies now, we pick theaters we love, not necessarily the ones with particular screen sizes or audio systems. Thankfully, there are still some great ones around.

By the way, my favorite movie house on the planet is probably Coolidge Corner in Boston. Fell asleep there once watching Fantasia and my wife has never let me forget it.

11. DaveB

DaveB Stunt Coordinator

We go more. Basically the same as Kristian's post.

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

1.Ive been into home theater since the early 90s. Ive been going to the movies more the past few years since the early 80s, when I spent every saturday in a theater.

2.Benefits of Theater - Screen size
    Benefits of Home - Sound (I find that with rare exceptions(Star Wars, Kill Bill) movies are just too damn low in theaters nowadays.While recently playing The Hulk at home, it was a completely different experience than the theater.)

13. Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett Stunt Coordinator

1) I go only about once a month now, if even. I used to see something about once a week.

2)
    ---I have better sound and video than most places around me, and its calibrated properly, too!

---The ability to pause a film, rather than miss 1-2 minutes to use the restroom if needed

---Someone or some shot comes up in a film, such as Kill Bill, and i can pause the film and look up in either a refference book, or imdb, or an import site to know where i saw something... (i dont ahve the disc yet, but i wanted to have this option when i saw it in the theater)

---When a movie comes out that had good "mise en scene" or audio i dont have to drive an exrta 35 minutes to get to the really good theater, nor do i have to go to the late show to avoid talking, particularly from annoying kids, or ignorant adults "why did he do that", "whats that SB [shaw bros.] supposed to mean, and the film looks all grainy, and isn't "centered" --- sorry for so many kill bill remarks, but it was the last thing i saw in a theater since reloaded.. which was just crap in general.

--- But Most importantly....

^*=~ I CAN SMOKE IN MY HOME THEATER ~=*^
    This is probably the greatest advantage to me.