home networking help

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kevin T, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

this might be easy for some of you, but networking is not my strong suit. anyways, here's the deal. i have two computers. my main computer in my bedroom and a htpc / jukebox in my living room. i would like to share my broadband internet connection with the htpc as well as extract files from it's hard drive and add files to it's hard drive. i currently have a d-link (di-524 802.11g) wireless router and a d-link (dcm-202) cable modem. anywho, i'd like to know the easiest way to do all this. running ethernet cable(s) is not out of the question as i have easy access to my attic space and all the necessary tools to do the job. wireless would naturally be easier, but i want to do this as cheap as possible (like in the $20 range [​IMG] ). both computers are running windows xp (main is running sp1 / htpc is running sp2). any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

kevin t

2. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

Is the d-link (di-524 802.11g) wireless router already in the system?

Is this how it's currently set up in your bedroom?
    1. Cable plugs into dcm 202 cable modem
    2. dcm 202 has an ethernet cable going to the WAN port on your di-524 router
    3. From a LAN port on di-524, an ethernet cable goes to the ethernet card at the main computer?

If it doesn't, it will need to[​IMG]

Does your HTPC already have an ethernet card, or an ethernet jack? If so, all you need is an ethernet cable going from another LAN port to the ethernet jack on your computer. This will be the cheapest solution. And if you don't have an ethernet card, I saw them for $5 in the Sunday circulars last weekend.

If you want to go wireless you need one of these, which will set you back about $40.

[​IMG]
    Your di-524 router, so we could see the WAN and LAN ports

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

yes, the cable goes into my modem, then an ethernet goes from the modem to the router, then from the router into my main computer. both computers have a built in ethernet port (same motherboard in both computers - soyo p4vgm). so all i have to do is route an ethernet cable from a second lan port to the ethernet port of my htpc? are there any other settings that i need to adjust to share files? what sort of ethernet cable do i need - crossover or regular? thanks for the help. i kinda figured it was simple, i just wasn't sure how "simple".

kevin t

4. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the physical connection is simple.
    All you need is the same type of ethernet cable you have connecting the bedroom PC to the router (I would guess it's standard and not crossover) going from the LAN port on the router to the ethernet port of the HTPC.

As for file sharing, it depends on the Operating system of your computers. If you're using XP you'll go to "My Network Places", and follow the "Set up a home or small office network" wizard on both computers.

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

The D-Link is autosensing, so even if you foul up and get the wrong kind of cable, it will still work. But in general, you want patch (non-crossover).

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

As for the connection issue, wired is certainly much cheaper than wireless. You've already got the router, but wireless PCI cards are still pretty expensive-ethernet cable is not...usually.

The trick is whether or not you're buying ready-made cables or whether you're making your own. You're going to pay a significant markup on cable in most places, but this is the same as with any A/V cable out there. For example, I bought a box of 1000 ft of cable for $65 two years ago, split it three ways with friends, and still have about half of my share left. Ends are reasonably cheap, and the crimping tool set me back 40 bucks. Therefore, for the price of one wireless NIC, I've wired five or six machines.

Only other piece of advice I can give you is to test the cable BEFORE you wire everything into the walls, and to stay away from electrical plugs etc (I've found that they can cause too much intereference on the network wires). Also, surface or in-wall mounted jacks are really nice to have, and make for an easier connection.

7. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

Or you can just hook up a wireless access point to your htpc and config it to see your router. they can be had pretty cheap on ebay.

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

You can pick up a wireless nic or USB lan adapter pretty cheap on ebay or pricewatch. I did this for a neighbor and got one of each (the USB for her older model laptop) and they were very easy to configure (most wireless routers just read the instructions carefully and it'll walk you thru it).