What's new

Home network issues (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I had to re-install the OS on my laptop. While it can connect to the internet, it does not see the two desktops I have on the network (nor the printers).

When trying to set it up manually, it asks for my username and password.

Anyone know how I can find this info?

(or, what my password is? :D)

Thanks!

Jon

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Do you have your computers running through a hub? Did you set it up where one of them is a wireless connection? Did you set up a username/password for the wireless connection?

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If it is a Linksys router, try
User name: root
Password: admin

If you can not see the other computers, make sure that you have the same "workgroup" name. (assuming you are using windows)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, guys. I seemed to have fixed the password problem (it's a netgear....username: admin, password: password.

And my laptop can see the two desktops (one running xp, the other vista)

But now I can't get the laptop to see either printer. I've uninstalled and re-installed the printers and set them to share, but no luck.

The laptop cannot find them automatically, and I can't figure out how to install them manually. How do I find the info needed to install the printers manually?

Thanks again,

Jon

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
are the printers connected to the hub or the other computers? are they set to be shared if on a host computer?

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Here’s the setup:
One desktop running XP, printer attached.
One desktop running Vista, printer attached.
One laptop connected wirelessly, running Vista.
Both desktops connected directly to the router.
Both printers set to share.
Is it possible to connect a printer directly to the hub??
Thanks,
Jon

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
John:

If you have the printers set up to be shared across your network all of the computers on your network should have access to the printer.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
My printer has an ethernet port, and it is on the 'net. Each of my computers must have the printer driver installed to operate the printer.

You can get a cheap device that will connect an older parallel-port printer onto the network.

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
Look at your firewall. If you reinstalled your OS it will turn it on automatically. Turn it off and see if you can see the printers.

Don

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

It's a good idea to change the username and password from the default.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Whew, looks like all is fixed.

The culprits: PC-cillin internet security suite interfering (probably conflicting with Windows firewall); Different workgroup names on different computers; and something else I fixed that I can't even remember
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bryan, I did change my default password on the router. Thanks.

And thanks to everyone else for your suggestions.

Jon

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Speaking of home network issues, it appears my Netgear WGR614 v6 router is on its last legs. It started to not transmit Internet data correctly (web pages wouldn't load properly :thumbsdown: ), confirmed when I directly connected my DSL modem to the Ethernet port on my computer, which corrected the issue.

Any suggestions for a good replacement router that works well and is long-term reliable?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I use the venerable Linksys WRT54G. Has 4 ports plus it does wireless too. I think it runs about $50 at B&M stores. I bought mine about 3 years ago and it works great.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I picked up a Linksys WTN150 a few months ago and couldn't be happier running 3 wireless and 2 wired PCs through it. It works great with N, G and B with no issues on compatibility and comes WPA, WEP and PSK encryption.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks