Home Movies on Adult Swim!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blu, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

This has got to be nearly my favorite show on TV right now, yes behind Sopranos and monster truck racing!

The writing is very witty and has some hilarious moments and characters like Coach McGuirk!

He is the best! I hope for a eventual DVD release of this incredible show!
    The exchange between Brenden and the Coach last night with the Scifi convention and the medieval fair side by side was classic!!!!

2. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I've been missing it for the last few weeks because of Sopranos. Maybe I should move my season pass back to the Pacific feed so I can still catch this great show.

3. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

Yeah, it's also one of my favourite shows. I also really enjoyed Coach McGirk's bit about how things were in medieval times. "That's how it was. The medieval people were always at war with the sci-fi people. For a thousand years." Almost as classic as "Just pretend that I'm your mom, and ask me if you can go to Mexico." "Mom, can I go to Mexico?" "Sure."

4. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

My Sunday evening is Sopranos followed by Adult Swim!
    As long as Home Movies remain on the schedule I'm a happy camper!

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

McGirk rules! He's like a sage... [​IMG]
    Seriously funny show. Animation puts some people off though.

6. Mark Turetsky

I just love the style of the dialogue. Does anyone know if it's improvised? Because it just has a great sound to it that I would think would be very tough to write.

7. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Are these new episodes or are they unaired eps from the original run on UPN?

I stumbled across this show a couple of years ago on UPN. I loved it and I remember saying to a buddy "I bet this gets cancelled after a couple of episodes and then shows up on the Cartoon Network."

Needless to say, I pretty psyched to see the show again. I flipped a channel and there was McGurk applying for a mortgage!

There is something about Coach McGurk's speech patterns that make me laugh (that, and the fact that he is usually saying something ridiculous).

-j

8. Mark Turetsky

The first "season" that got aired on Cartoon Network were the UPN episodes. Right now they're airing new ones.

9. AndrewD

AndrewD Stunt Coordinator

When Cartoon Network picked up the show, they also agreed to produce brand new episodes as well. I believe every Sunday in October, they'll be premiering brand new episodes.

Additionally, I think the voice talent has a basic story arc for each episode, but much of the actual dialogue is improvised.

10. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Oh man! The episode where McGuirk is applying for a mortgage and the episode with the new school nurse are tied for my favorite episodes!
    When McGuirk takes the nurse to the club and gets blasted is just too funny, maybe even one of the funniest moments in animated television history!

11. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

McGurk is the greatest. Guy who does the voice is H Ron Benjamin. He was the voice of Mothmonsterman on Aqua Teens and was the can of mixed vegetables in Wet Hot American Summer. He is also the voice of Jason on Home Movies.
    My favorite moments in the show are
    1:Brendon taping Fenton's mom naked, then McGurk wanting to tradmark the domain name www.fentonsnakedmom.com, only to find that was taken
    2:Melissa as a little fairy, when she puts the spray paint cans in the microwave and blows the building up in order to escape(same episode as above)
    3:McGurk's speech about women to Brendon. "There is nothing wrong with lying to women to get them in bed Brendon. I do it all the time."
    McGurk is the main reason I watch that show, and H Ron's voice is so damn funny.
    I love all the Sunday night adult swim stuff. It started with Sealab 2021, then blossomed. Harvey Birdman is my favorite for now though. I already have a thread going on that.

12. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

McGurk cracks me up. I love home movies. However, I often find that the show makes me long for "Dr. Katz: Comedian Psychiatrist" [​IMG]
    Some of the episodes just make me laugh out loud [​IMG] Adult Swim is a must for Sunday Nights. Home Movies. Sealab. Harvey Birdman. It's all good. [​IMG]

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

McGirk was also "Ben" on the late, great "Dr Katz: Professional Therapist". And with the exceptions of Brendon Small and Paula Poundstone, all the actors voicing major characters on "Home Movies" are from "Dr. Katz" (and I think Poundstone also made a few appearances on the couch).

Excellent show. So very good, in fact, that I watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm" reruns on Wednesday nights instead of the Sunday premiers so I can watch "Home Movies"!