Home-Made SVS

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DeepakJR, Feb 23, 2003.

1. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

I am planning on building a "Home-made" SVS with an Shiva Mk III and a 250 Watt amp from parts express. I'd buy the SVS, but im short on cash, and what ill spend making this sub is still streching my small budget. I've been readin up here these past few days and still wonder what an SVS looks like inside. Are all the ports the same lenght? How much polyfill(if any) does it have? If anyone has taken apart their SVS and would like to share their findings I would be most grateful. Pictures would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Deepak Jr.

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

What you're looking to make is a tube sub...these were around long before there was an SVS. Check out the "Sonotube project links" at the top of the page for many details on construction.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Heck, you can even try buying one of the original SVS 12" drivers off someone who's upgraded to the new driver (look in the Hardware For Sale area on a regular basis) if you wanted to duplicate the older SVS models.

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

As Patrick mentioned this would be the cheapest route no doubt. The first original SVS drivers come up for sale pretty often. Cost normaly runs around 45 to 55.00 plus shipping.
    I bought 2 at 45.00 per driver and 2 at 50.00 per driver plus shipping. This was last year.

You could then just clone the size you want of the original powered single 4" flared port SVS.
    I did this with one of my SVS drivers (2039) and it looks and sounds great.

Wall lining:
    The "originals" had 1-1/2" egg style acoustic foam on the inside walls.
    This has changed with the newer models. I used the 1-1/2" egg foam.

The used SVS driver should certainly be cheaper than buying a new Shiva for what ever type project you go after.

Regards
    Geoff

5. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Deepak,

I have a pair of original SVS drivers that I'm looking to ship out. They work really well and I've enjoyed having them. But recently...well, it's time for me to move on. Feel free to email me if you're interested. [​IMG]

Regards,

Dan Hine

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dan,

Didn't you just finish those subs? The guy gets a job and all of a sudden he's made of money! [​IMG]

7. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Brian,

I have my reasons...and unforuntately it's not b/c I'm made of money. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Go to my web site and look at my pics of my svs 25-31PCi. I have a pictures of the inside.

9. Andrew Bowzer

Hey Dan,
    Will you please email me at [email protected] I tried sending you an email about your SVS original drivers, but it was returned to me saying that there was a failure in the delivery.

10. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Where did you get this info from?

Reason why I thought they always used R-13 fibergalss insulation from the start.
    Anyway here are some pics of SVS subs.

SVS guts 1

SVS guts 2

SVS Ultra

11. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Sebastian

This is one the original "first powered" 2039's from SVS. I probley got the wrong model #! The 2039 part (is definitly right).
    A close friend has it. It's got a single port, has a SVS built in amp, and has grey egg crate foam on the inside wall.

Geoff

12. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Alright guys, im almost done with my sonosub, but I have two more questions. When stuffing the sub with polyfill, should I fill it completely so it would be 1 lbs. of polyfill per 1 ft^2 of space, or just the sides? And the second, what amp should I buy? I was thiking of the Rythmik Audio one thats gotten soem talk lately, but im still unsure about which one. Thanks.

L8rz,
    Deepak Jr.