home made speakers for music

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JamesF, Sep 7, 2003.

1. JamesF

JamesF Extra

is there any good sites for help on this and softare thats easy to use for noobs.
    i was looking at useing vifa 1 inch D27TG-05-06 for tweeter and 2 vifa 6.5 inch M18WO-09-08
    Does anyone know where to get specs for these
    I was wondering what people thought of these drivers and where to cross over at??
    i have towers with 4 mids 5 inch and a tweeter and was wondering if more drivers will give me a more full sound to fill the room or will the above selection be ok.
    could i possible run the same as my original speakers ie m,t,m,m,m will this be ok , my original speakers are going to rears and i want to make a very musical pair of fronts
    any help would be greatly appreciated

I posted this in wrong place before sorry

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

My preference for music speakers these days are full-range drivers. I'd recommend checking into EJ Jordan drivers or possibly Fostex. For low cost alternatives look at the Tangband W3-871S. Amazing little speaker. I put four of them into a tower and could listen to them for hours.

3. JamesF

JamesF Extra

the only problem i have is , they have to be available in australia, which limits me to peerless,vifa,scan-speak

4. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I found that building a speaker is a lot more difficult to get perfect than it seems. I recommend going with a kit or proven crossover design from the web. Then buy the drivers and components and there'll be less risk involved.

Even if you use a high quality Vifa Driver, one simple mistake could make it sound very bad.

An easy and good sounding first project is using a full range driver like the Jordan JX92S if those are available.

7. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

There is a distributor for Fostex in OZ. This link takes you to their site. You'll have to e-mail them for specific info as their Fostex link takes you to the Fostex International site. The FE103 is a great little speaker. Lots of construction info at full range forum.