Home Made In-Wall Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Louisp, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    Is it possible to made a home made in-wall speaker using traditional woofer's and tweeters?

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

No, it is impossible. [​IMG]

Well, you can do it, but you need to be aware of what you want to do with it! If you want to basically build a speaker in the wall, sure! But you need to make sure you know what space you have to work with, how you will mount it, etc.

Obviously, it would be hard to build the 'tabs' on the speakers like commercial ones, but you could literally build it in that wall, not mount it in the wall.

3. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    I guess what I'm really asking is if there most be anything special done to the woofer or tweeter?

4. Steve Rabbit

Steve Rabbit Agent

my best advice, having only limited understanding, is to make sure your speakers will be designed to work well on or off axis, depending on which directoin the drivers will be facing during play.

I'd have to spend so much time making perfectly flush wall mounted drivers to have the whole theater crooked and left leaning.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I believe the two big issues will be the baffle and placement.

Speaker crossovers (baffle step compensation) and the baffle widths are tinkered with by designers to have the various driver output levels match up properly. In wall you will have an infinite baffle which could make this difficult if the wrong drivers are choosen. Also, the crossover really is the heart of the speaker, and it is not trivial to design.

Second, speakers always sound better when placed several feet from all walls (exception being some horn speakers). With inwall speakers you can't really do this. Horns have to be quite large, which will make them impossible to install in some walls.

6. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

What are these "tabs" you are talking about in commercial designs. Seems to me that you really can't control the reponse of a speaker mounted directly in the wall very much as opposed to using a box

7. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Not true!!! I can't explain the science here but I know that having the front speaker baffle in the same plane as the wall is an advantage NOT a disadvantage.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Flush is an advantage in some respects, but the fact is, in-wall is far less desirable due to placement issues. Unless you figure out in advance exactly the best location for the speakers, ESPECIALLY for the front three, you end up pretty much stuck with where you put them (unless you don't mind ripping out the sheetrock and doing it again...). Free standing speakers generally do sound better when moved away from the walls.

A mid-bass designed to work in a particular box is not going to work in your wall the same way. It's not the baffle that is the problem, you NEED the enclosure for the mid-bass. In-wall speakers are DESIGNED to work in a wall. You need a midbass that is intended to be used in an infinite baffle setup. Some tweeters are sensitive to their enclosure, and certainly their placement relative to the midbass.