1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Home karoke system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by desotoman49, Feb 6, 2010.

1. desotoman49

desotoman49 Auditioning

Charles
    Help: Help: I need to help my wife put together a stand alone home karoke system in our bonus room. I am not very electronic inclined, more of a big hammer and welder sort of guy. With that said, here is what we have on hand already. A laptop loaded with some sort of karoke playing system complete with music, an unopened yahama MG102c mixer, and some mics. Question is, what other components do I need, and is there any diagrams as to how it all hooks together (cables, wires). A mfg with model number would be great for the components.
    Thanks

2. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Here's the first thing I'd try.

Connect the audio of the laptop to one of the stereo inputs on the mixer. Depending on what your laptop offers as an audio-out connection, you may need to get a cable that has 1/8th-inch stereo audio plug going to two RCA plugs. (From the picture I saw online, it appears that the Yamaha has stereo RCA inputs.)

Plug the mics into the mixer. It apparently has two mono mic inputs and, if you need more, you can use two of the stereo inputs for more mic inputs. If your mics don't have 1/4-inch plugs (which seems to be what the Yamaha expects. Again, I'm just guessing based on the picture) you may need some adapters. (Some mics come with 1/8th-inch, smaller, plugs these days.)

Now we get to the hardware part. If your TV has stereo audio inputs, I'd start by plugging the mixer into the TV. You'll also want to plug the video-out of the laptop to the TV. (My laptop has an svideo-out built into it. Your mileage may vary.) Plug the audio outputs of the mixer to the audio input on the TV, making sure that you get the inputs that are grouped with your video input. (The groups labeled Video 1, Video 2, etc.)

Turn down the level of the mixer's faders (the little knobs), turn on the TV. Set the TV volume to a normal level. Turn on the mixer, fire up the computer and karaoke software and, assuming you have picture on the TV (you may need to make some adjustments on the laptop so it outputs through its video-out port), start raising the fader levels on the mixer until you hear some audio on the TV. (You have faders for the mics, the laptop input, and master faders and all will need adjustment.) Then see what explodes, er, happens. :)

Eventually you might want to get a separate stereo system for better sound. Then the audio output from the mixer would plug into a stereo receiver or integrated amp.

Have fun.