Home Depot speaker wire question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Johnson, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Stunt Coordinator

my local home depot has 12gauge speaker wire, but one side is copper and the other side (positive/negative) appears to be aluminum or tin. should this be a concern? they don't carry speaker wire both sides copper wire. lowes does, but they're currently out of stock.
    any advice?

thanks

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

One side is just tinned. If you'd like around the same price but maybe a blue pvc then this wire from knukonceptz should also do the trick.

3. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

My Home Depot 12-ga wire is the same as what you're describing, and I had the same question when I set up my system several months ago. I'm guessing that your wire, like mine, doesn't have any polarity markings on it.

The two different colors should help you keep the polarities the same... connect the copper strand to the positive terminal and the silver strand to the negative terminal on your receiver, then connect the other copper strand to the positive terminal and the other silver strand to the negative terminal on your speaker. This ensures that your connections are made with the correct polarities.

In talking this over with the tech support people at PartsExpress at the time (my Home Depot associate did not know for sure), it seemed that it didn't matter if the copper strand was connected to the positive or the negative terminals. What mattered was that if the copper strand was connected to the positive on one end, it must be connected to the positive on the other end as well to prevent shorting and mis-matched polarities. As long as you keep the copper strands to one polarity and the silver strands to the other polarity in all your connections, you'll be OK.

If your wire does have the polarity markings on it, then just connect it according to the markings and you'll be all set.

Good luck!

4. Dave Johnson

thanks guys, but my concern was the conductivity of the different materials, copper and xxx - is this an issue? could the copper be receiving a faster/stronger/different signal than the other wire. the silver/aluminum/tin wire appears to be solid when cut, not electroplated copper.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The conductivities/resistances are the same for all practical purposes. Both sides are stranded but maybe just maybe you're looking at something else or not closely enough. If you strip both sides back you should find the wire is stranded. A higher strand count makes the wire flexible and easier to work with. My boy you are sweating too much over this. If you prefer not to buy the 12 gauge at HomeDepot (Carol makes their wire I believe), then KnuKonceptz as mentioned above, or SoundKing from partsexpress will function equally as well.

6. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

When you all talk about the "Home Depot" 12ga. speaker wire, you are not referring to the RCA stuff they sell, right?

I went to Home Depot and the were out of the big spools of wire that they sometimes have. It looked like it was 12ga. when I noticed it months ago, but I wondered if there was a brand name on the wire and how many feet you buy in a spool?

7. Rob Landolfi

Chu is on the money with the wire manufacturer... it is made by Carol. The conductivity is the same between the two strands, meaning that the signal sent/received through either strand will be the same. You could reverse the polarities at both the speaker and the receiver and hear no difference. This wire will meet your needs just fine assuming that you aren't running it for an in-wall application.

Jon is correct as well... we are talking about the spooled wire that HD sells (at $.30 per foot in this case), not RCA interconnects.

Good luck with the installation.

8. Jon Duke

9. Rob Landolfi

Jon,

Thanks for the clarification regarding the RCA wire. BTW, if Home Depot is out of their 12-ga wire, Lowes carries 12-ga wire (from Woods) at $.30 per foot as well. If your your local stores are running low on wire, PartsExpress.com has all kinds of wire choices, too. I got a spool of in-wall rated 12-ga wire from them at a great price, and their customer service is very good as well. Good luck.

10. Red Spencer

Red Spencer Agent

Man, if you guys are using Kenwood componants, I guess Home depot 12 guage is all and well...But if you have any type of quality gear, go with Monster at least...you will hear the difference. [​IMG]

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

...as your salesperson says thank you...lol. Damn Red, you better come up with a plausible reason for choosing Monster! And here I went to all that trouble to give you that interconnect information!

12. Red Spencer

Red Spencer Agent

Blahahahaaa....OK CHU, I Just couldn't believe Home Depot [​IMG]

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

getting spec's out of monster (is 16 gauge the commonly quoted stuff) is like getting Hillary to cough up documents.

14. Jon Duke

15. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well at least Martha would have the documents in a lovely box she made herself, tied and decorated with ribbon she bought at her favorite ribbon store that just might make audiophile cables look affordable! Hillary just plain scares me.
    can 12 hold 16....maybe
    can 16 hold 12....if you take some wires off sure.
    There's all different kinds of ways to attach wire...a hard crimp, screw, crimp & solder. You may want to give www.partsexpress.com a call (they carry 12 gauge also) and if you get a helpful salesperson (usually good odds) they'll give you cat #'s and product names for your various options. Then you can look it up on the web. Daytons are pretty good. Check the spacing at the back of your receiver/amp. Me i like spades at the speakers...good secure connection...bananas at the amp. Just me though...whatever works for you will be fine.

16. Dave Johnson

whew, thanks everyone!

(and i use radio shack spades as connectors at both ends.)

17. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Ok guys. This is about speaker wire not about politics. Let's keep it on track and leave Martha and Hillary out of the thread.

Parker