Home Depot/Loewes 12Ga Speaker Wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Patrick

Patrick Auditioning

Folks

I'm looking to purchase cables from these places but I have a couple of questions. The Home Depot cable has one strand that is obviousoy copper as it is brown. The other strand is silver. Is this strand coated copper or something else? If so, what is it and why the difference? The Loewes cable has both strands as copper. Should I choose this instead of the Home Depot cable? There are a couple of individuals that say that these wires change color over time. Has anyone else experience this and why does it happen to these cables and not others?

Cheers

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I just bought 250ft of 12 guage cable just yesterday from Home Depot. I don't know much about the Loewes stuff though. The stuff I got has one black wire and one white wire (each with copper strands inside their jackets. Then both wires are wrapped in another jacket/insulator making it very durable and easy to wire inwall, which is what I was looking for. It goes for cdn$0.95/metre over here.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I just bought 250ft of 12 guage cable just yesterday from Home Depot. I don't know much about the Loewes stuff though. The stuff I got has one black wire and one white wire (each with copper strands inside their jackets. Then both wires are wrapped in another jacket/insulator making it very durable and easy to wire inwall, which is what I was looking for. It goes for cdn$0.95/metre over here. I compared pricing from various stores including Future Shop whos 12 guage was cdn$80 for just 50ft. Outragious.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

the 'silver' color comes from tinning of the copper to facilitate identification.