Home Dehumidification- Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Hochard, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Since it seems that someone knows something about everything here[​IMG] , I thought I'd throw this out-
    'Tis the moldy season here in Central FL. It's not warm enough to run the AC. The trouble is that the humidity is still (always) high. Low 70's for temp in my house most days, and humidity hangs above 65% almost always, making it uncomfortable. This, of course, is excellent breeding material for shower mold, drain mold, clammy floor tile, dust mites, etc, etc. Not good, when you have bad allergies to all these things (except the tile, duh!).
    I've actually looked into whole-house dehumidification, but the price is insane ($2500 installed). I'm not sure how effective a small portable would be.
    Anyone have any good ideas?
    Todd

2. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

One or two small portables might do the trick. They work better than you'd think. I've used a small portable dehumidifier in a 1000 sqft. basement before and the air was bone-dry in a matter of hours.

3. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

I think it depends on how "wet" your house is. We have a portable dehumidifier in our approx. 1000 sq ft. basement and it is always sucking gallons and gallons out of the air. Maybe 2 gallons a week or so (i know that sounds insane...but really its true). The air is much less humid than before, so it appears to do the trick. Maybe we need to get another or not, I don't know, but the portable really takes care of a lot of the humidity we have. I would expect it to do the same for you.

Todd

4. Todd Hochard

Well, this is a single-story built on a slab, not a basement, so, of course, there are many rooms/walls to contend with.
    Thanks for the replies, though. Perhaps I can find someone with one to borrow, for "proof of concept."
    The house isn't wet-feeling like a basement sometimes is, it's jsut wet-feeling like FL without air conditioning always is.[​IMG]
    Todd

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I would just leave your AC on, but at a setting where it does not run all the time or makes your house incredibly cold. AC is supposed to work as an "air conditioner", not just a strict cooling device as it is mostly associated. For doing a couple rooms a simple Dehumidifier might work, but for an entire house, AC is the only way to go in my opinion.

J

6. Todd Hochard