What's new

Home Automation - wiring question (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Hi everyone;
I am trying to set up a little home automation. I am hopeful I could control just a few things with my iPad at first; thermostat and a few lights that stubbornly refuse to stay turned off(kids) . Maybe I'll eventually add some some home surveillance and weather monitoring.
Before I buy a system I want to make sure I get one that does what I need - and I am getting stuck on step one; the light controls. I can't seem to find one which can control a three pole light switch. I presently have switches with a pilot light that indicates when the light is on - so I'm sure it can be done - but I cannot find anything.
Can anyone here help?
Also - I am willing to bet that home automation is going to become more and more prevalent - eventually our HT systems will be assimilated into them. I propose we add a home-automation section to the forum...

CRyan

Screenwriter
I hope you find something that works. If you do, please post your results. I was never really able to find anything past simple x-10 type switches that leave a lot to be desired imo. They do have 3 way switches if that is what you are looking for.
http://www.x10.com/automation/ws4777_s.html
I have just not had good luck with x-10 in general (inconsistent to say the least). I am looking for a direct wiring approach in my next house but DIY appears to be nonexistent and getting home systems installed are outrageous.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Hmm, x-10 may do it. I have some switches already, they are a bit old but worked well enough - the primary problem was the remote control kept getting lost! Oddly enough - nobody ever loses their iphone...

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I've switched from x10 to Insteon. I found it much more reliable and flexible than x10. Plus it is backwards compatible with your existing x10 switches.
Chris

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have a full blown hard wired lighting control system, but Kevin switched out his switches for Insteon a few years ago. He started with a few, did the rest and added in inexpensive control box to allow him to do scheduled events. I think like Chris he has found it reliable. I'll point him to this thread.

CRyan

Screenwriter
A few questions.
1. Who is Kevin? I think I need the reference to understand.
2. What system do you have? Is it low voltage to the switches and romex to a switching box?

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by CRyan /t/323474/home-automation-wiring-question#post_3982049
A few questions.
1. Who is Kevin? I think I need the reference to understand.
2. What system do you have? Is it low voltage to the switches and romex to a switching box?
Sorry, he is a co-owner here. I have a Crestron lighting system that is LV wire between the switches, modules and controller. The individual lighting loads (one of more fixtures) are wired directly to dimmers centrally located in a cabinet.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Adam Gregorich said:
Sorry, he is a co-owner here.  I have a Crestron lighting system that is LV wire between the switches, modules and controller.  The individual lighting loads (one of more fixtures) are wired directly to dimmers centrally located in a cabinet.
Ooops. Lot of changes over the years that I have not kept up with.
And thanks for the info. Crestron is one company I have made contact with directly (not through a contractor yet). It is tough to make a decision on what I want through a system such as that. Taking everything they offer gets expensive fast. Either way, they are very nice setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suknabineha