1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Home Automation - wiring question

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Eric
    Hi everyone;
    I am trying to set up a little home automation. I am hopeful I could control just a few things with my iPad at first; thermostat and a few lights that stubbornly refuse to stay turned off(kids) . Maybe I'll eventually add some some home surveillance and weather monitoring.
    Before I buy a system I want to make sure I get one that does what I need - and I am getting stuck on step one; the light controls. I can't seem to find one which can control a three pole light switch. I presently have switches with a pilot light that indicates when the light is on - so I'm sure it can be done - but I cannot find anything.
    Can anyone here help?
    Also - I am willing to bet that home automation is going to become more and more prevalent - eventually our HT systems will be assimilated into them. I propose we add a home-automation section to the forum...

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I hope you find something that works. If you do, please post your results. I was never really able to find anything past simple x-10 type switches that leave a lot to be desired imo. They do have 3 way switches if that is what you are looking for.
    http://www.x10.com/automation/ws4777_s.html
    I have just not had good luck with x-10 in general (inconsistent to say the least). I am looking for a direct wiring approach in my next house but DIY appears to be nonexistent and getting home systems installed are outrageous.

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Eric
    Hmm, x-10 may do it. I have some switches already, they are a bit old but worked well enough - the primary problem was the remote control kept getting lost! Oddly enough - nobody ever loses their iphone...

4. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    I've switched from x10 to Insteon. I found it much more reliable and flexible than x10. Plus it is backwards compatible with your existing x10 switches.
    Chris

5. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I have a full blown hard wired lighting control system, but Kevin switched out his switches for Insteon a few years ago. He started with a few, did the rest and added in inexpensive control box to allow him to do scheduled events. I think like Chris he has found it reliable. I'll point him to this thread.

6. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

A few questions.
    1. Who is Kevin? I think I need the reference to understand.
    2. What system do you have? Is it low voltage to the switches and romex to a switching box?

7. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Sorry, he is a co-owner here. I have a Crestron lighting system that is LV wire between the switches, modules and controller. The individual lighting loads (one of more fixtures) are wired directly to dimmers centrally located in a cabinet.

8. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Ooops. Lot of changes over the years that I have not kept up with.
    And thanks for the info. Crestron is one company I have made contact with directly (not through a contractor yet). It is tough to make a decision on what I want through a system such as that. Taking everything they offer gets expensive fast. Either way, they are very nice setups.

9. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    If I were remodeling I would seriously look at a retrofit install like Instion. With new construction you have so many options.