Home audition time, opinions wanted!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted_T, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Ted_T

Ted_T Auditioning

First I would like to say thank you to all the people who have helped me in the previous two threads. Thanx to you all I now feel comfortable in moving to the next step of HT purchase and setup. I had planned to just get the reciever and use my headphone amp and headphones till I could afford speakers but from my new found knowledge I believe my budget will afford me the ability to pick the reciever, fronts and center all in one go.
    Let me give you a run down of where I am at this time. The room this is going into is 8 feet high by 9 feet wide and 10 feet long. I am not looking to blow my windows out or my ears for that matter. I like listening to the tv and movies between what I consider low to medium volume levels. Which I figure is between 60dB and 70dB. That being the case I am going with either a Denon AVR-1602 or AVR-1802. I dont think I will need more power then either of those can provide. However if after auditioning them I feel otherwise I can always go up. I just provided that so you could make your opinion known with that factor. Those recievers being the case my budget for the speakers is $1,100.
    This will be strictly for HT use, I do not listen to music. However I am looking for clear sound. So if all possible I am looking for clear speakers that can be driven by 70watts max that dont have to play at loud volumes.
    I am looking for 3 models I can take home audition and see what I like. If I find that the reciever isn't for me I will come back with the new data and ask again. I will also be picking up the VE DVD and a ratshack SPL meter so I can properly setup the speakers. If any of you have opinions then please share! If you also want to add why you picked that would be even better.
    I want to apologize for making this so long, I am so winded, sorry. =)
    ------------------
    --
    Ted

2. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

For your price range I recommend the B&W DM602 for your mains and a B&W LCR6 for your center. Hopefully you have a local B&W dealer that will let you do a home audition.

3. Ted_T

Ted_T Auditioning

Hello Tim M,
    Went to B&W website and was able to find a local dealer. Gave them a ring and they do have DM602 S2 and LCR6 S2. So I will be able to get a listen just not with my specific room acoustics. I figure you didnt mention S2s but logic would dictate those are just the second series of the same speaker so there shouldnt be any fault. Am I correct in this assumption?
    Thank you for speaking your mind with your opinion, it is appreciated.
    ------------------
    --
    Ted

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Yes, you are correct. The Series 2 is the latest and is what I was recommending. It's too bad that they wouldn't let you do a home audition but that's not too unusual (my local dealer wouldn't either). I actually have the DM604 as my mains because I got a great deal on them, but I listened to the DM602 quite a bit. They're great speakers. I'm using the LCR6 as my center. The dealer might suggest the CC6 for the center, but I'd go with the LCR6 instead. Enjoy the audition!

5. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter