What's new

Home audition time, opinions wanted! (1 Viewer)

Ted_T

Auditioning
First I would like to say thank you to all the people who have helped me in the previous two threads. Thanx to you all I now feel comfortable in moving to the next step of HT purchase and setup. I had planned to just get the reciever and use my headphone amp and headphones till I could afford speakers but from my new found knowledge I believe my budget will afford me the ability to pick the reciever, fronts and center all in one go.
Let me give you a run down of where I am at this time. The room this is going into is 8 feet high by 9 feet wide and 10 feet long. I am not looking to blow my windows out or my ears for that matter. I like listening to the tv and movies between what I consider low to medium volume levels. Which I figure is between 60dB and 70dB. That being the case I am going with either a Denon AVR-1602 or AVR-1802. I dont think I will need more power then either of those can provide. However if after auditioning them I feel otherwise I can always go up. I just provided that so you could make your opinion known with that factor. Those recievers being the case my budget for the speakers is $1,100.
This will be strictly for HT use, I do not listen to music. However I am looking for clear sound. So if all possible I am looking for clear speakers that can be driven by 70watts max that dont have to play at loud volumes.
I am looking for 3 models I can take home audition and see what I like. If I find that the reciever isn't for me I will come back with the new data and ask again. I will also be picking up the VE DVD and a ratshack SPL meter so I can properly setup the speakers. If any of you have opinions then please share! If you also want to add why you picked that would be even better.
I want to apologize for making this so long, I am so winded, sorry. =)
------------------
--
Ted

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
For your price range I recommend the B&W DM602 for your mains and a B&W LCR6 for your center. Hopefully you have a local B&W dealer that will let you do a home audition.

Ted_T

Auditioning
Hello Tim M,
Went to B&W website and was able to find a local dealer. Gave them a ring and they do have DM602 S2 and LCR6 S2. So I will be able to get a listen just not with my specific room acoustics. I figure you didnt mention S2s but logic would dictate those are just the second series of the same speaker so there shouldnt be any fault. Am I correct in this assumption?
Thank you for speaking your mind with your opinion, it is appreciated.
------------------
--
Ted

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Yes, you are correct. The Series 2 is the latest and is what I was recommending. It's too bad that they wouldn't let you do a home audition but that's not too unusual (my local dealer wouldn't either). I actually have the DM604 as my mains because I got a great deal on them, but I listened to the DM602 quite a bit. They're great speakers. I'm using the LCR6 as my center. The dealer might suggest the CC6 for the center, but I'd go with the LCR6 instead. Enjoy the audition!

Doug_B

Screenwriter
So I will be able to get a listen just not with my specific room acoustics.
Do note that some dealers who may say at the outset that they will not support a home demo may in fact be more supportive of it down the road. Maybe after a couple of visits, some genuine interest shown to purchase, the salesperson seeing that you are careful with the equipment in the showroom, etc., may persuade them that a home demo can be provided. Of course, some places you'll know from the outset that this is an impossibility, but a suave potential buyer may be able to make it a negotiation point (when there's competition).
At least if you cannot get a home demo, I recommend that you listen to your short list of speakers at more than one store to assist in determining consistent characteristics.
Good luck.
Doug
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks