What's new

Home Audio with HT - What to do? (1 Viewer)

mfsl4j2

Grip
Real Name
Jeff Howard
Well, it is that time again...to refresh the toys. I am 90% into audio and still play my half-speed lps as well as a number of the original master recording cds (i.e., MFSL, DCC, Mastersound, Ryko, Zounds, Pony-Canyon, Warner-Pioneer, MCA Masterdisc, etc.).

Unless I am mistaken, for the 3000k range the MC4 is the processor of choice. I considered Sunfire and Outlaw as well. The lack of upgradeability hurt the Sunfire. The Outlaw processor board appears designed mor e for HT than audio. The Lexicon MC-4 seems to have the right design (but what do I really know?)

Amplifiers to match up with this are really scaring me as I want a fine audio sound not that focused on the surge booms and mid-range focus of home theater. Price range mid 2k or below (please below). Would like to have meters or LEDs as I like to know (see) when my amp is running out of stuff. I may have to add this.

The Lexicon LX-5 amplifier is of interest as are the Outlaws.

Presently, I have

2 Snell XA 75 (front)
Snel Center Channel
2 Snell THX 60 (rear)

2 Carver M500t amplifiers
1 Carver PSC 60 professional preamp or Advent 300
1 carver DPL 20 Prologic surround processor
2 Rega P3 Turntables
1 Denon 1250 Turntable
1 Phillips 963 upsampling DVD/CD

Recommendations are requested,but please remember, this is audio first and foremost! Thanks for your help

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
The Sunfire TGP-5 would also be a good choice in that price range. The Krell Showcase 7.1 controller is very good too, but it's $4,000.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
NAD has a new M15 processor that is supposedly very very good but that is 2,995 MSRP

Anthem, Arcam and Rotel (look here) make similar grade processors, but I think only the lower range NADs (T163) falls within your budget

Have you looked at Emotiva?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Check out the used market. For $3K or less you can get an Anthem D-1 or Lexicon MC-12. And there are some really good amps available on the used market that go for less than half of what you would pay for an equivalent new amp.

You need to know what you're looking for and do you're research. But if you do it right you can put together a damn fine system for well under half of what you would have paid new.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Get a preamp with HT Bypass. Audition one that is to your liking for audio. Get a rec'r (or HT pre/pro if you have the amps) that has the features and technology that suits your needs. If you decide to upgrade the HT you can always get a new rec'r if that technology changes and you wish to keep up with it. Many moons ago I had separate power meters that merely hooked to my amp. They may still make those. HT technology tends to change more rapidly than audio you are interested in. Just another option to consider.

mfsl4j2

Grip
Real Name
Jeff Howard

Thanks for the feedback///the TGP is a processor was specifically considered and identified (sunfire) as not upgradeable, only replacable each time the THX or Dolby release changes.

What I could really use is another set of Snell XA 75s or Snell XA 90s as well as a set of Ultraphase speakers. Can you help with this? Would be majoryly appreciated.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Have you look at the Denon 3803CI receiver? I have several friends that use that as a preamp. I would also look into the 7 channel Outlaw power amp. Talk with RAF, Steve Simon or Michael Reuben (all forum moderators) as they have all owned or own Lexicons to use for preamps.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jeff, one recommendation. I auditioned Snells years ago, when I got my Thiels, which I still have. I recall them being a fairly aggressive speaker, as in, touchy on the high end. I don't mean that as a negative. The Thiels are accused of being the same. My point is, I think Carver is a bad choice for electronics, especially amps. I would look for a warmer, no trickery, brute force amp for those Snells. I have always been thrilled with my Aragon 4004II. Unfortunately, Aragon no longer exists, but you can find them used. They had a 200 wpc 3 channel model that might be just the ticket for the front, and is stable down to about 1 ohm. You might try Parker's suggestion of the Denon receiver, use a 3 channel amp up front and the receiver to power the rears. Be aware, those Aragon amps are beasts. Mine weighs 65 lbs. It'll last you a lifetime though.

Just to explain my comment on Carver a bit more. They were pioneers in developing innovative ways to deliver massive power in a small, cool unit, but they do certain amounts of electronic trickery to do it, such as switching power supplies. this practice has become very common now, but when you want to build a top notch music system, I believe you are still best going with a straightforward, "brute force" amp.

mfsl4j2

Grip
Real Name
Jeff Howard
Thanks for all the input...It helps.

The sincerely appreciate, but have a problem with many of the suggestions, as most of the recommendationsappear to assume what works well in the home theater world, works with appropriate "sonic accuracy" in the audio world. This is not true due the broader sound (more instruments) and deeper spectrum (parallel instrumentation) in audio. This is even more apparent and exacerbated when playing analog recordings (all the sound form 20-20,000k, not a digitall sampled [reduced] and enhanced sound spectrum). I ended up using the Lexicon for home theater SACD, DVD and other surround applications. I chose an EMotiva preamp and some of their Class H amplifiers. Incredible design at a low price. If you check the schematics the similarity to the Sunfire is apparent; yet, it had more enhancements and better componentry.

I still seek the Snell XA 90s. Seller in Chicago sold to someone else and I got screwed. ALso would like to find the old Ultraphase speakers. Any help on these fronts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again to all for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks