What's new

Home Audio vs. Pro Audio (1 Viewer)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Whats the difference?

I realize I wouldn't need to tune the subwoofer as low for pro audio compared to home audio but is there any other difference? Perhaps how pro audio speakers are covered in carpet while home audio is stain? Let me know though. Matt

Pro audio is primarily for use by musicians or clubs/bars etc. In general pro audio needs to be more durable because its constantly being handled and moved around. There is no need for fancy looks. The carpeting material you mention is probably very durable and will stand up to some abuse.

Also pro audio is usually more effecient in terms of db/watt. This is because it often needs to fill a larger room/venue.

Kartal

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Why does home audio not have the same efficiency for db/watt? Does this sacrafice sound quality in doing that? How do they get the higher db/watt efficiency? Thanks. Matt

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Kartal was right about the durability issues..

Don't mistake Pro Audio Studio Monitors for Sound
Reinforcement Monitors though.

Generaly speaking sound reinforcement speakers and DJ gear
is not the best sound quality simply because you are not
nearfield the goal is LOUD not really clean..

Now Pro Audio Studio Monitors on the other hand can make
good home speakers in a lot of cases.

Studio Monitors are used for recording/mastering they are
used near field and they are used for critical listening.

I would say Studio Monitors tend to use better drivers than
Sound Reinforcement gear (I am sure there are exceptions to
that..)

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Some home audio speakers have similar sensitivities as pro audio. Klipsch is the most salient example of this.

My dream home theater is powered M&K Pro speakers all around w/ some SVS Ultra.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Why does home audio not have the same efficiency for db/watt? Does this sacrafice sound quality in doing that? How do they get the higher db/watt efficiency?
As Kartal noted, one of the primary needs of pro audio (at least for sound reinforcement applications, which is what I’ll be discussing here) is to get the most volume for the watts. They do this by using driver and cabinet designs with high db/watt output - compression drivers for the high end, and for the mid and bottom end, ported, vented or horn-loaded designs.

As far as sound quality, I’d say the majority of sound reinforcement designs do not rise to the level of hi-fi. This is because sound quality is not their first priority. Good PA speakers first and foremost must be reliable - able to play at high volumes for extended periods of time, and often in extreme conditions - i.e., outdoors and all that that entails. No one would have any use for a PA speaker that sounded so fine it gave you goose bumps if it consistently went up in smoke halfway through a show.

It’s basically a matter of economics. The designer of a $1500 PA speaker first has to find or design drivers that will withstand 500 watts all day long at an ambient temperature of 95 degrees with 90% humidity. He has to make sure his cabinet design, materials and finish will not disintegrate if it sits in the rain for an hour or two or gets dropped off a truck. After he meets these goals then he can make it sound as good as he can with whatever budget is left over.

The designer of a $1500 home speaker does not have those concerns. He is able to put most of his budget into sound quality, not withstanding brutal and adverse conditions.

This is not to say there are no excellent-sounding PA speakers. But as you can imagine, the best ones are high-end and very expensive.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
So then how should I go about designing a pro audio speaker for the home? My situation is I'm going to be using these to run a set of electronic drums through. I'd like them to be loud enough to practice with a band while in my basement. I don't need to worry about the conditions, as mentioned, that most pro audio speakers go through. They will be indoors at all times and will not be traveling very much. So am I really designing home audio speakers just with extreme volumes? What should I look into doing? I posted something in the DIY section asking if maybe a pair of monitors with 8" drivers and a tweeter or a pair with two smaller mids and a tweeter in each would be better. Here's the link to that discussion. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=127193

What do you guys suggest I do? I am on a budget but I can build these myself. As I said in the other discussion, I need to be able to feel the drums, not just hear them. This goes for the mids, not just the bass. Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks